Home » Audio » Speaker » great train of thought
great train of thought [message #20442] Thu, 23 September 2004 08:48 Go to next message
jim denton is currently offline  jim denton
Master
Hye Guys!!!---right on as to a few of my thoughts---what amp is a good connect to those Fostex??? Manuel I am interested in those modified drivers---can you send me an address as to where to buy those plans?? Martin---I again say that the BSC (new for Fostex206's) and correct psoitioning (which took me a bit of time to learn---I used Lynn Olson triangle method---and a 25ft tape to be exact--) great imaging---want to hear your thoughts on a pair of Coral flat 8's in the same cabinet---could you figure the port diameter and lenght---these drivers look "minty" and by the way--what amp are you driveing those Lowthers with??--I was very inspired to hear lynn Olson site tout "vintage" amps that have been re-conded--at least on his Ariel speakers----

Re: great train of thought [message #20445 is a reply to message #20442] Thu, 23 September 2004 10:17 Go to previous message
Martin is currently offline  Martin
Master
Hi Jim,

"I again say that the BSC (new for Fostex206's) and correct psoitioning (which took me a bit of time to learn---I used Lynn Olson triangle method---and a 25ft tape to be exact--) great imaging"

I am happy the circuit helped in your set-up. I find this type of circuit to be extremely flexible and powerful. Something so simple can really balance the system SPL response with great advantages. If there is any downside, I don't really hear it.

"want to hear your thoughts on a pair of Coral flat 8's in the same cabinet---could you figure the port diameter and lenght---these drivers look "minty" and by the way"

I really don't know anything about Coral drivers other then having seen them mentioned favorably on the forums and seeing a few very impressive looking pictures on E-Bay. I really cannot provide any hard input with respect to using them in the enclosure you built. If they fit the hole it would not hurt to try them. I would guess that the port would need to be shorter if they are similar to the Lowther drivers. If they are 8 ohm speakers then adjusting the resistor in the BSC may also be required depending on the Qts value of the particular Coral driver.

--what amp are you driveing those Lowthers with??--

Right now I have an old Adcom 555 200 watt/channel amp and an Adcom preamp. I bought these in about 1986 and they are starting to show some signs of not working well. Nobody who has heard my system in the past few years has commented on the amp but it is definitely the weak link. I am looking to replace the amp and preamp with something better. I have heard my Lowthers driven by a Bryston 3BST amp and a homemade pair of monoblocks. The Bryston 3BST amp was very impressive and I am leaning towards a pair of the 4BSST's at the moment that I can run bridged right now and eventually with an active crossover to a 15" high efficiency woofer set-up later. My biggest problem is finding the time to locate a dealer, get a reasonable quote, and buy the amp and preamp. My accountant (wife) has given me the green light but I have just not got to it on my long list of things I'd like or need to get done in the near future.

Martin

Previous Topic: The server was down today for awhile
Next Topic: beyma
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 12:36:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers