Home » Audio » Speaker » Updated the crossovers on my K-orns to spec
Re: Cool link Wayne, and esp one para [message #18406 is a reply to message #18404] Thu, 12 January 2006 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
It's interesting to note that even loudspeaker manufacturers can't get every driver of a certain model to sound and measure exactly alike. Small differences in things like suspension and cone thickness cumulate to make variations in T/S parameters like fs and Qts. I've read of some people who measure fs of a given driver to be off as much as +/- 10 dB. It's just very hard to get a vibrating surface to perform exactly like another. That's why it's usually recommended to measure each driver individually before designing a given enclosure.

Dave

Re: More on old instruments [message #18407 is a reply to message #18402] Thu, 12 January 2006 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Bob,

I have a couple of inexpensive recorders I play around on, and my daughter has a few primitive flutes. I'll take the recorder sound anyday.

It's also a shame that the standard pitch has risen through the years. The mellower sound of previous centuries was more pleasant to listen to.

Adding to my banjo comments, early banjos were typically tuned to around A or E (depending on which type of tuning pattern was prefered) while modern banjos are tuned higher to C or G.

I have an old fiddle built around 1800 that has been in my family since before the Civil War. It's neck is about a half inch shorter than modern fiddles. It was designed, like Strads, to be pitched to a lower pitch (I'm thinking around 415Hz vs today's 450Hz, but I'm going from memory and could be off). My old fiddle sounds it's best when tuned with gut strings designed for lower pitch and tuned that way. Unfortunately, nobody I know in this area play in that tuning, so long ago I resigned myself to todays standard pitch. However, I refuse to put a longer neck on the instrument to optimise for higher pitch. It sounds good as is but has a darker tone than what you normally hear. I like it!

Dave

Parameter shifts [message #18408 is a reply to message #18406] Thu, 12 January 2006 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

There are changes in electro-mechanical parameters even in a single device at different operating levels. And there is a shift over time. I prefer to use alignments that are relatively insensitive to these shifts, basically systems with a wide tolerance. You can model a system at various operating points to see how it will act, and then if industrious enough, measure a physical model at several power levels to see if it performs as expected. I think a system should be designed to allow for pretty wide shifts in driver parameters, because that's what it will encounter. A side benefit of this is that small tolerance changes in component production runs won't matter so much.

Re: More on old instruments [message #18409 is a reply to message #18407] Thu, 12 January 2006 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's really cool, Dave. I have always been impressed with your experience with these kinds of (rather exotic) stringed instruments.

One thing has me puzzled, so I must be missing something. If the neck is made longer, that would seem to imply a lower frequency. But you indicated it would optimize for a higher note. I'm guessing the strings you prefer must be thicker and heavier, or you must tighten them less. Is that the case, or what am I missing?

I agree [message #18410 is a reply to message #18408] Thu, 12 January 2006 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
That's why I like ot use drivers well within their ranges, and do a 3 way set up as opposed to a 2 way.
-akhilesh

Re: More on old instruments [message #18412 is a reply to message #18409] Thu, 12 January 2006 17:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Wayne,

The shorter neck and lower pitch was because of the very soft tension strength of pure gut strings used at the time. Todays strings are much stronger and can be made tighter. Tighter means louder, with brighter being a side effct.

BTW, I stated todays standad pitch as 450Hz. That was a typo. It should have read "440Hz".

Dave

Re: More on old instruments [message #18413 is a reply to message #18407] Thu, 12 January 2006 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Brines is currently offline  Bob Brines
Master
Dave,

I've played one-keyed flutes, and I can tell you that they are a mother-bear to play in tune. Cross-fingering doesn't work nearly as well on a flute as it does on a recorder, oboe or clarinet. You can tell if one of these is being used in a recording by the F, G# and Bb being either out of tune or at a lower volume level. The 4-keyed flute of Mozart's time didn't have the intonation problem, but both 1- and 4- key flutes have a very fuzzy attack. Dead give away in a recording.

Pitch ~1700 and earlier was A=405. That rose to 415 for most of the 1700's and 1800's. The modern pitch is 440, although some orchestras like the Berlin Philharmonic are rumored to use as high as 456 to give the orchestra a "bright" sound, something like plywood cabinets. OK, I'm sorry. I'm sorry. Anyway, all of my recorders are pitched at 440 so they can be played with modern instruments.

Bob

Re: I agree [message #18414 is a reply to message #18410] Thu, 12 January 2006 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Well, sometimes that's true. Probably most times, given good components are used and care is taken to ensure the crossover is worked out. But I've heard some damn fine two-ways, some that were much better than most three-ways. I'd take a DI matched two-way with a smooth midwoofer and tweeter horn over most any typical direct-radiating three-way, even one made with the best components. But all other things being equal, a nice three-way done right is going to win out, sort of like a good big block beats a good small block.

"Something like plywood cabinets" [message #18415 is a reply to message #18413] Fri, 13 January 2006 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

History of musical scales [message #18416 is a reply to message #18412] Fri, 13 January 2006 09:25 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Gotcha. You were referring to A above middle C.

Cool links related to your discussion, the history of musical scales:

Previous Topic: Ciare HX-201 10" wideband?
Next Topic: Commercial Line Arrays?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 14:06:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout