Home » Audio » Speaker » Connecting speakers via cat6 cables to a computer
Connecting speakers via cat6 cables to a computer [message #15582] Wed, 26 September 2007 03:56 Go to next message
Phil is currently offline  Phil
Esquire
Help!
My house is cat6 cabled and I would like to use my computer to push Napster round the house.

Can anyone pls advise:
1. Can I push sound from the computer down the Cat6 cables to other rooms - how do I do this?
2. Is there a quality standalone speaker that I could place in each room to broadcast the sound (don't need a display on the unit but would be good to be able to vary the volume/tone etc)?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thx

Re: Connecting speakers via cat6 cables to a computer [message #15583 is a reply to message #15582] Wed, 26 September 2007 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Have you looked at the Squeezebox? It has (RJ45) ethernet, optical and wifi connections. Maybe it will work for you.

Re: Connecting speakers via cat6 cables to a computer [message #15584 is a reply to message #15583] Thu, 27 September 2007 02:12 Go to previous message
Phil is currently offline  Phil
Esquire
Thx Wayne

My only concern it that squeezebox appears to be a 'hammer to crush a nut' approach as I will still need speakers and could end up with diff sound in each room.

Ideally just want speakers connected to computer by ethernet cable.

Any other thoughts?

Previous Topic: Spectron Speakers
Next Topic: Klipsch RS-7 clone
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 14:45:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers