Home » Audio » Speaker » Need help with my first build project
Need help with my first build project [message #15256] Tue, 11 April 2006 19:34 Go to next message
Faust is currently offline  Faust
Esquire
Hi, I found a little driver that I'm interested in (Dayton Quatro 8"), and Parts Express even has recommended enclosure plans for it. I am planning on building the vented enclosure plan found here:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pdf/295-545%20vented.pdf

Looks like a good and easy first build. However, I have a couple of questions. First, how the heck do you fit an 11" tube into a 10" cube. Am I missing something here? Second, can I believe the specs listed on page 3 of the pdf (specifically the custom amplitude response)? If the specs are correct, this is an awesome little box.

I'm glad I found audioroundtable. You folks have great forum here.

Thanks, Faust

Re: Need help with my first build project [message #15257 is a reply to message #15256] Wed, 12 April 2006 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Brines is currently offline  Bob Brines
Master
If the published specs are correct, the 10" box is too small. Make it an 11" cube and then you can use a 6" port. F3 should be ~35 Hz. Better yet, go for an EBS alignment of say 12.5"^3 and a 6" port for an F3 of ~28.

You might also ask why PE show SPL@300 watts for a driver specified @ Pe=150w.

Bob

Re: Need help with my first build project [message #15258 is a reply to message #15257] Wed, 12 April 2006 10:33 Go to previous message
Faust is currently offline  Faust
Esquire
Thanks Bob. I think I'll try the EBS alignment idea. I just want to be sure about the vent on this new design. Would the vent opening be 2" (2"x12.5"x6"deep)?

Also, I asked Parts Express about the listed specs and here is the reply:
"Pe is actually max power, not RMS. THis is why this was shown this way. the driver is specified as 150w RMS and 300 MAX."

Previous Topic: Dynaco A25
Next Topic: Some simple Array questions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 09:33:02 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout