Home » Audio » Speaker » pairing speakersw to tube amps
pairing speakersw to tube amps [message #14644] Sat, 24 July 2004 09:30 Go to next message
jim denton is currently offline  jim denton
Master
Check out my thinking guys----I'm shopping speakers and I want to use my 17-20 wpc tube amps on these new speakers---I have found several that say Max power 100 watts---but not a good operating power range---others at 88 or 89 db rating---and finally, most important for my tubes the load---there are no 16 Ohm speakers that I know of---most are 8 Ohm load---so---If I bought a pair of speakers that are 88db rated at 8 Ohms ( some say they don't go much below 6 Ohms which is good ???) I could use them Ok in my smallish listening room just not blowing out the windows?? I don't really crank up the volume to much amyway---MY thoughts are that I could run these Ok and just never have all the power that they could use? JD

Re: pairing speakersw to tube amps [message #14645 is a reply to message #14644] Sun, 25 July 2004 21:16 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I think it will work just fine, Jim. If they're rated 88dB/W/M and your maximum power is 20 watts RMS, I think they'll sound about as loud as a 2 watt Decware Zen or Paramour amp on a pair of classic Klipsch or π speakers. Maximum volume is loud enough that you have to speak loudly to talk to someone in the listening room, but not so loud that you have to yell.

Previous Topic: A few questions
Next Topic: Any ideas for a cabinet design?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 08:48:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio