Home » Audio » Speaker » Audiophile Sub project
Audiophile Sub project [message #14594] Thu, 13 May 2004 08:50 Go to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

This caught my eye.

It's a speaker project but with some advanced tweaks.
Not a home theatre application but rather an audiophile
app. for music rather than seat shaking.

The same builder also has designed a tube/gainclone hybrid
which is elsewhere at his site.

Re: Audiophile Sub project [message #14595 is a reply to message #14594] Thu, 13 May 2004 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Looks like a well-considered design and the price is right too. Less than $150.00 for the woofer. Not bad!

Did you see the JBL subwoofers mentioned a month or so ago? Seems like they were $300.00.

Re: Audiophile Sub project [message #14597 is a reply to message #14595] Wed, 19 May 2004 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike.e is currently offline  Mike.e
Illuminati (1st Degree)
those jbl1500s wouldve been great for those who were considering tempetests and blueprint 15"s,but actualy enjoy fidelity!
also for Basshorn usage ,handy extra xmax for that low frequency cutoff!

I dont expect much bass from that woofer however with its real low Qts,but the intention is quality,so it certainly would be 'tight' This seems to be the latest trend in the diy circles,ultra damped sealed boxes.

Re: Audiophile Sub project [message #14598 is a reply to message #14597] Wed, 19 May 2004 18:54 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I'm sold on the performance of woofers and mids that use symmetrical flux in the gap and shorting rings. One can measure huge reductions in harmonic distortion and the sound improvement is night and day to me. The first woofer I heard that used this technology was the JBL 2205H, and it impressed me immediately.

Previous Topic: Horn Cab for the Lab 12
Next Topic: Awesome Single Fullrange Drivers From Japan.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 03:57:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio