Home » Audio » Source » Great tool for phono playback
Great tool for phono playback [message #12358] Sat, 16 July 2005 12:15 Go to next message
rick is currently offline  rick
Baron
Hello:

I've recently purchased based on recommended products on the kabusa web site the aphex 204 aural exciter w/optical big bottom. I think it is absolutely fantastic in creating and tayloring analog to sound more dynamic and realistic unlike anything I've been accoustomed to. I've used a tds harmonic enhancer with good results but with a blanket effect, though good, nothing like what the aphex 204 can do. I had thought it might be too "fiddely", by perhaps one having to tweek every record or track therein, but, as advised, about the only adjustment needed may be on bass levels of varying recordings. It really does make lryics more intelligable and instrumentation more detailed and distinct. Bass from the big bottom effect is really improved, one being able to bring out kick drums and bass guitar like never known before. It's the best dang 200 bucks I've ever sank into my little audio habit. Better than any cartridge or phono preamp improvement of similar monetary scale, or that, much greater.

Re: Great tool for phono playback [message #12359 is a reply to message #12358] Sat, 16 July 2005 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Approximately 5 yrs ago we held a meeting of the Audio Society specifically geared towards examining current cartridges. We used a vintage RCA shaded dog Beethoven/Classic Records Coltrane/Blue note Hank Mobley/Dark Side of The Moon MFSL/Stock James Taylor that was heard in the Audio Salons of the time. Throughout the test several people commented on the James Taylor observing that his voice changed in apparent volume with changes in pitch. It drove everyone crazy for an hour. Someone quietly began to scour the album cover reading all the fine print. There it was; the use of the dreaded Aural Exciter. Makes the tones of his voice expand and contract as he hits different notes and is extremely noticeable. Maybe they improved the technology since then but after that meeting you couldn't give any recording made through that device away.

Re: Great tool for phono playback [message #12360 is a reply to message #12359] Sat, 16 July 2005 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Well, I've never heard one, but have been in this hobby long enough ( recently received invitation to join aarp) to have seen several devices go by like this. I have always been suspicious of them, figuring there is no way to improve the basic signal, adding to or taking from only, which I view as distortion. That being said, I have seen a lot of hoopla from those that should know about a d/a converter, A/DIO or something like that, which incorporates a tube output stage with some sort of knob that varies the amount of "tube sound" and people were loving them. I guess I'm too much of a purist, I still won't allow anything but 2 channel in my house, with the one exception of a cambridge media sound system on my computer which uses 2 front, 2 rear and a tiny subwoofer.Home theater? Two Altec A7s with 60-70 watts of tube power. I don't need no stinking 5.1!

Russellc

Re: Great tool for phono playback [message #12362 is a reply to message #12360] Sat, 16 July 2005 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I have a home theater rig going. Not real intense just polk speakers and an HK reciever. It doesn't do much for the B&W movies/Yankee Games/ and Brit-com's I like but what the hey.
This Aural Exciter thing massacre's the music though; that I can tell you.

Re: Great tool for phono playback [message #12366 is a reply to message #12359] Sun, 17 July 2005 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Sir, I most vociferrously disagree with you. This is a very good device for giving analog playback a more convincing and "enjoyable" experience. I know probably that my experience and hardware is not up to your formidable standards, but, I don't care, because in my estimation 200 bucks for an audio product is not unreasonable and I really think the overall improvement in sound quality is far exceeded by its price. As skewed as you may think it be, I've not heard any wavering or changes of pitch or volume alluded to in the prestigious meeting of note. Who knows, maybe it wasn't the dreaded aural exciter that gave everyone migranes from listening to James Taylors nasaly voice. Maybe it was his voice. Any who, I was just passing along something to maybe some other people out there that might want to improve their listening pleasure. But I see that validation must first be annointed by the local resident audio guru of this forum. Ask Kevin at kabusa though, he'll tell the same. It's real and it's a deal.

Re: Great tool for phono playback [message #12367 is a reply to message #12358] Mon, 18 July 2005 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Here is a review of the aphex 204 for anyone interested other than the two nattering nabobs of negativism.

Re: Great tool for phono playback [message #12368 is a reply to message #12367] Mon, 18 July 2005 18:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Nay bob of negatism eh? Self appointed audio guru huh? Aren't you doing the same? Sorry your ox was gored, but you don't have to run off crying and namecalling just because someone disagreed with your idea. Most high end music listeners will not have such a device in their signal chain, that's all. they are stuffed full of phase destroying circuitry and loads of cheap op amps. However, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, which by the way is very welcome here. this is a flame free place where ideas are free flowing, and this includes commentary as well as counterpoint to said commentary. Are you so know it all that no disagreement is allowed? Who's the self appointed knowitall now? The device and its review are geared towards home theater, where the signal is allready so butchered and phase so manipulated one more device won't really hurt. Whatever, your posts are welcome, just expect comentary. We are here to learn, which requires a certain diatribe, where not all are going to agree. If you like it in your system, that's all that really matters. Myself, I don't use equalizers of any sort. I, like many here enjoy the purist signal possible, and no device that changes alters or adds to it is
seen as possitive. Reviews to me are extensions of various companies marketing departments and don't carry much weight.

Russellc

Re: Great tool for phono playback [message #12369 is a reply to message #12366] Tue, 19 July 2005 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Sorry but I am not a guru. However I think if there is something I have experienced that would impact on your use of an audio device then I have an obligation to share that information since this is an audio site. I don't take audio that serious in terms of my personal emotional well-being so I certainly respect your opinion and presentation.
Anything that modifies the signal has an effect and that effect is audible. If you like it then it is good. But what I said happened and I can't pretend it did not.

Greater Fuller More Realistic...Re: Great tool for phono playback [message #12372 is a reply to message #12367] Wed, 20 July 2005 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

Erf.

What can more realistic possibly mean? I'm reminded of a post
I saw a long time ago suggesting that you hand your spouse or
kid or the mailman a microphone and have him talk in it and see
how it sounds.

It's going to be flat, slightly high pitched and have no echo,
reverb or other 'realisms' in it at all.

I think people (maybe specially the readers here: see threads
on AM radio) have become conditioned to hear things the way
they do on media rather than real life.

So trying to put realism back into something is going to
be totally subjective and a waste of time unless it is an
excersize in individual 'remix' or creativity.

Re: Great tool for phono playback [message #12373 is a reply to message #12368] Thu, 21 July 2005 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Baron
Yes.......... lord master & commander. I'll slink away now, my lower lip quivering with indignation. Thank you, I did'nt know the innards of it's back case were chucked full of all sorts of unsavory devices. Though it'd matter as much if a dehydrated dead mouse were stuffed there in. Still makes music sound good to me. Once again, if anyone is unsatisfied with their phono playback and has an open mind, unconstrained by op-amps, audiophillic dogma, or liner notes on a record album. Then maybe, if they're interested mind you. As, it aint no holy grail, what ever trips yer trigger n floats yer boat. It might be one of a multitude of pathways for happy listening on the old victrola. Lord god almighty strike me down for having sinned. Ahmen! Peace brothers.

Previous Topic: Cartridges
Next Topic: Cartridge Matching On A Budget
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 17 17:54:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout