Home » Audio » Source » around the last few songs, my stylus won't move on? can someone help?
around the last few songs, my stylus won't move on? can someone help? [message #12268] Sat, 18 June 2005 17:43 Go to next message
sanspolanco is currently offline  sanspolanco
Chancellor
can someone help me with my problem? i just installed a new cartridge on my turntable (gemini xl-100) and i can't seem to get it to work correctly. i have a GRADO phono pickup GREEN model. the tracking force is 1.5 grams. i had the anti-skate at 2 and the tracking force at 2. the problems start everytime i get towards the end of the lp. about halfway through the record, the needle just doesnt seem to move on. instead, it just keeps repeating the same groove over and over. do i need to adjust the anti-skating? should i add more weight on the tonearm?

someone told me that i needed to place the tonearm above the platter and then increase my anti-skating to see if the tonearm starts heading towards the center. i tried this suggestion, but my tonearm doesnt move at all when i adjust the anti-skating. does anyone know what this means?

thanks,

sjp

Re: around the last few songs, my stylus won't move on? can someone help? [message #12269 is a reply to message #12268] Sat, 18 June 2005 18:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I would suggest upping the tracking force. Try 3 grams and see what happens.

Re: around the last few songs, my stylus won't move on? can someone help? [message #12270 is a reply to message #12269] Sat, 18 June 2005 18:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
>>> would suggest upping the tracking force. Try 3 grams and see what happens.
Re: around the last few songs, my stylus won't move on? can someone help? [message #12271 is a reply to message #12270] Sat, 18 June 2005 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Naah; just take the anti-skate out of the picture, zero it out and see what happens.

Re: around the last few songs, my stylus won't move on? can someone help? [message #12272 is a reply to message #12271] Sun, 19 June 2005 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
that seems to be doing the trick.

thanks,

sjp

Turntable tone arm and cartridge setup [message #12273 is a reply to message #12272] Sun, 19 June 2005 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Groovy links:

Re: around the last few songs, my stylus won't move on? can someone help? [message #12274 is a reply to message #12272] Sun, 19 June 2005 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
ok, so i added more weight, but i am still having the same problem. once i get closer to the center of the record, the stylus just wont advance. anyone else have any suggestions? i tried the links someone gave me up above, but that information is really technical and somewhat over my head. what stinks is that i have never had this problem until i changed cartridges? maybe my stanton 505 wasnt so bad afterall?

-sjp

Hi-Fi News Test Record [message #12275 is a reply to message #12274] Sun, 19 June 2005 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

One of those links mentions the Hi-Fi News test record, which will help you setup your turntable. It even comes with an alignment protractor and an instruction manual, so you'll be ready to go.

The record is made in Britain, but there are various importers in the United States and around the world, so you can do a search on the internet for other vendors if you like. Or just buy it directly from these guys:

Re: Hi-Fi News Test Record [message #12276 is a reply to message #12275] Sun, 19 June 2005 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
yeah, i read about that record on one of the links you gave me, but then ignored the rest of it since i didnt have that record. i will look into getting one. wanna know something funny? i pulled out my discwasher and then tried the record again and the needle moved along.

there is still one thing that still concerns me. on another forum someone told me that when i have my needle floating above the platter and i add more anti-skating, i should see the tonearm move towards the spindle. my tonearm doesn't do that. should i look into this "problem"?

Re: Hi-Fi News Test Record [message #12277 is a reply to message #12276] Sun, 19 June 2005 11:06 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Anti-skating should provide a small lateral force on the tone arm. If the bearings are free moving, then the arm should move when balanced. But if the arm lift is used, there will be enough friction between the rubber on the lift and the tone arm to prevent movement. You'll have to use the balance weight and set it so the arm is free-floating to see any movement from anti-skating force.

Previous Topic: Is Mobil 1 100% safe to use with my Thorens? First hand experiences apreciated :-)
Next Topic: why is a reissue not as good as an original pressing in good condition?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 17:41:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio