Home » Audio » General » A few words of endorsement for Headphone Systems
A few words of endorsement for Headphone Systems [message #1101] Fri, 19 November 2004 09:22 Go to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Last night, I sat down with my headphone system, the first time in over three months, and I'm so glad I got reacquainted with it. I completed by JBL-based speakers in early Sept and have been busy exploring music collector through them, neglecting the headphones.

My headphone system consists of a Mapletree Audio Design tube amplifier and Grado 225 which I acquired and built over a year ago. For about $500, you get a SET / fullrange single-driver system and freedom from any room-effects whatsoever. I honestly believe that in terms of performance/price ratio, headphone systems beat out amp/speakers by 10 to 1.

For anybody with a passion for musical purity, I highly recommend looking into a headphone system. Music just passes right through from the source to my ears, giving me a level of clarity that I have not been able to find (and afford) in a traditional amp/speaker system. And there are a lot of very good products/designs on the market outside of the MAD amp / Grado combo that I have.

There are the obvious drawbacks of course. It’s a personal listening system, so music can’t be shared with those around you (this can also be a huge benefit). It can be very unforgiving of poorly recorded content and source. The music sits in your head instead of in front of you. And the big one for me is not being able to feel the music. If you’ve ever felt the bass coming out through a pair of JBL 2235’s, you’ll know it’s a hard thing to give up. It’s definitely a different listening experience, but one that has its own set of worthy merits.

About that last point of not being able to feel the music, I did come across a very interesting suggestion on TubeCad Journal. Active crossover the source to both the headphone amp and a subwoofer so that anything above 100Hz comes through the headphones and 100Hz and below is felt from the sub. Definitely worthy of experimentation.

Gar.

Re: A few words of endorsement for Headphone Systems [message #1102 is a reply to message #1101] Fri, 19 November 2004 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi Gar,

That's cool. I agree with you about headphones. I also agree with Mike Baker about sound systems outdoors for a similar reason. The sound isn't influenced by the room and all the stuff inside, sound bouncing everywhere. It just sounds different, and more clear.

I like your idea of headphones with a sub too. Close your eyes and you're there.

But my problem with headphones has always been that they're too confining. I like to do things and move around, so I can't wear headphones with cords. They're always in the way. And even with cordless headphones, my problem then is that after an hour or so, they become uncomfortable to me. I've tried the ultra light ones and the ones that cup your ears, and one always seems better than the other for a while, but they all eventually get tiring to me.

Maybe there are others out there that would be better than the ones I've tried. I surely haven't tried them all. And it's been a while since I've used headphones, to tell the truth. I thought about getting a pair several months ago, mostly so I could listen late at night without bothering Alona. But I never really got excited about it.

I've always enjoyed that good sound, like what you hear outdoors or with headphones. That's the goal. But I find I'm indoors and without headphones much more often. So I've put my focus on good loudspeakers instead. I like a system that charges the reverberent field very uniformly. Cornerhorns with every flare having 90o horizontal dispersion are what does it best for me.

Wayne

When I can [message #1103 is a reply to message #1102] Sat, 20 November 2004 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike.e is currently offline  Mike.e
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Im going to try a listening session outdoors,see how i like it

Only problem is-neighbours!

The british ravers get the outdoor sound alot-but often with less than adaquate sound quality!

Btw im assembling pictures of systems + labhorn pictures

Regards
Mike.e

Re: When I can [message #1104 is a reply to message #1103] Sat, 20 November 2004 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Outdoors is great, but as you know, you gotta pump the bass.

Re: Add Statellite radio [message #1105 is a reply to message #1101] Sat, 20 November 2004 12:07 Go to previous message
frank is currently offline  frank
Esquire
I listen to my headphones ( Stax 4040 ) in my office, and use a Sony 999ES as a source , but I also use a tuner to give me variety of music.....problem with any tuner is that depending where you are located, you can find that pulling in good reception with a tuner is problematic, so I have tried the new statellite ( Sirius) for about 5 months now...and I can really recommend it for "good reception" and many many stations of music.
For those who want to try headphones, and want variety...the statellite is the way to go.

Frank

Previous Topic: Great Meeting!
Next Topic: Hypersonic Sound Beaming
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 20:56:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers