Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » SEX vs DECWARE
Re: Got SEX [message #10799 is a reply to message #10798] Thu, 02 December 2004 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lew H is currently offline  Lew H
Esquire
Hi Colin,
I had one for the RMAF in Denver. It actually was a prototype. Doc lent me a tricked out prototype yesterday that I suspect will be
the blueprint for an upgrade kit. Yes, I like the little guy real
well.
Regards,
Lew
PS, there is a Bottlehead meet in Kirkland this Sunday, and the
stock SEX and the upgraded SEX will be there, sob, I'm bringing it back to Doc. I suspect the Bottlhead forum will have a lot to say
about people's listening impressions after the meet.

Re: Got SEX [message #10800 is a reply to message #10799] Fri, 03 December 2004 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
What tubes are in that amp?

One thing I really like about the Paramours is that 2A3 blue glow.

Re: Got SEX [message #10801 is a reply to message #10800] Fri, 03 December 2004 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lew H is currently offline  Lew H
Esquire
Wayne, sad to say they are unglamorous, ugly little suckers--6DN7s.
Two little guys sitting all my their lonesome selves, like two
wannabees waiting to grow up, lol.
Lew

Re: Got SEX [message #10802 is a reply to message #10801] Fri, 03 December 2004 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Ah, well, if they sound good to you, that's what really matters. One can always get a lava lamp or something.

Did someone say lava lamp? [message #10803 is a reply to message #10802] Fri, 03 December 2004 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
DON'T try this at home.......Colin

Re: Did someone say lava lamp? [message #10804 is a reply to message #10803] Sat, 04 December 2004 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Oh my God, I can't laugh at that. It would be funny, in a Darwin Awards kind of way, if it weren't so tragic. I can see how it could happen. Lots of hobbyists here would be (or have been) unlucky in a similar fashion when pushing an electrolytic capacitor too far, either by over-voltage or reverse polarity. The wrong little piece of shrapnel in the wrong direction can do some damage. I guess that's kind of what happened to that poor guy with the lava lamp.

Re: SEX vs DECWARE [message #10924 is a reply to message #10795] Mon, 27 December 2004 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cantskienuf is currently offline  Cantskienuf
Esquire
Hmmm.... I've just finished a set of Paramours, and when mated with my Foreplay they were dead quiet. Both the amps and pre-amp have the C4S mod and the pre-amp has a filament snubber. With those mods I think most folks get a very quiet system.

Re: SEX vs DECWARE [message #10925 is a reply to message #10924] Mon, 27 December 2004 15:00 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy my Bottlehead setup. But I can hear the hum between passages. Even without a preamp connected, the Paramours give that hint of hum, and it's pretty noticeable on speakers with greater than about 95dB sensitivity. It's not like an old tube radio or anything, but you can definitely hear it.

I have Paramours and a Foreplay, both with C4S and sweet whispers on the Foreplay. The snubber pot is set for the least hum and when the C4S's kick on, it gets quieter but the hum is still noticeable. I use Electro-Harmonix 2A3's, which sound very nice and get rid of the Geiger-counter popping noise of the stock Valve Art tubes.

Previous Topic: How about "Single Ended Forum"
Next Topic: Counterpoint SA 1000
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:02:49 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout