Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » S.E.X.
S.E.X. [message #10762] Thu, 14 October 2004 12:24 Go to next message
Man From Uncle is currently offline  Man From Uncle
Esquire
Anyone here gotten and built a S.E.X. kit yet? I would like to know your impressions.
Curious how it compares with Paramour and other SET kits.

Re: S.E.X. [message #10763 is a reply to message #10762] Thu, 14 October 2004 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cantskienuf is currently offline  Cantskienuf
Esquire
I heard two of them at RMAF. Sounded awfully nice through both headphones and Vivaldi folded Lowthers. Very quiet.

Re: S.E.X. [message #10764 is a reply to message #10763] Thu, 14 October 2004 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Man From Uncle is currently offline  Man From Uncle
Esquire
That's exciting news! Please, a few more questions:
How would you say the SEX amp compares with the Paramour?
Do you know what mods were on the SEX amp at RMAF?
Was it built right out of the box or was it mod prepped?

Re: S.E.X. [message #10768 is a reply to message #10762] Fri, 15 October 2004 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I order the SEX kit the day it went on sale. I'm still waiting for it to be shipped. Doc has a problem getting the top plate from the parts fab. Could be the beginning of November before one ships....Colin

Re: S.E.X. [message #10769 is a reply to message #10764] Fri, 15 October 2004 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cantskienuf is currently offline  Cantskienuf
Esquire
Can't give you a comparison to the Paramours as they were the only amps in the room. Acoustics, preamp used (for the paramours - the SEX is integrated, but can be set up for use with a pre-amp), and speakers could make for a tremendous difference for comparisons purposes. The SEX that Doc had set up with headphones was heavily modified and playing original source tapes. I believe that the one in the Vivaldi room was stock. I'm pretty sure I asked that question. It was playing vinyl through a Seduction phono amp. I think I remember the turntable as a BIX, but I could be mistaken. Both systems sounded very nice. Now I may sound a bit flaky about my memory of the exact circumstances, but the fact that I listened to over 60 rooms of music and remembered these in a positive way says something.

Re: S.E.X. [message #10786 is a reply to message #10769] Wed, 17 November 2004 20:42 Go to previous message
Lew H is currently offline  Lew H
Esquire
Yes, although the SEX amp was a prototype, I believe it was totally
stock. I found it to be quieter than Doc's 300B amps. Heck, for the
price it is astounding. People fell in love with the sound it put out. A really great amp. I would crank it up all the way and no one
could hear anything except dead dark quiet with their up to the drivers on the Lowthers--and they were 101 db eff.
Regards,
Lew

Previous Topic: Who's itching to get a Stoetkit?
Next Topic: After 4 kids I'm gettin' SEX!!!!!!!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 06:21:10 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio