Home » Audio » LSAF » LSAF 2014
Re: LSAF 2014 [message #79709 is a reply to message #79708] Mon, 17 March 2014 17:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, it's a drag. I've just got too much piled on my plate right now, so LSAF is out for me. But I'll be back next year.

I'm not sure if there will be anyone there with a set of my speakers, but I'll not be sending anyone in my stead. It's not like I'm going anywhere permanently, I just am running way too thin to attend the show this year.

Re: LSAF 2014 [message #79726 is a reply to message #79708] Wed, 19 March 2014 20:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Everyone, How many have signed up? We will be bringing some new stuff and a vintage reel to reel to remind you all how good it can sound. I just hope the snow clears before then ( Smile ) and the tornadoes don't start. I look forward to seeing you all again and hopefully some new folks as well.

Since I am a point person for the event - not sure what all that means, but it ought to be fun. Feel free to contact me for info, questions and such. PM is fine. General questions in this thread are fine as well as I check it daily. If you need to call me...give me a heads up PM and I'll call you if you provide a number. If you call out of the blue you will either get my voice mail or answering machine. After years of robo calls and similar requests to buy or support every thing known to man we just stopped answering any that we either don't know or are pre-arranged.

I apologize for not posting info earlier but mother nature decided I should get pneumonia and that kind of wiped me out for a while.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: LSAF 2014 [message #79727 is a reply to message #79726] Wed, 19 March 2014 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Brines is currently offline  Bob Brines
Master
Just reserved my room.

I have been coming to LSAF since Tulsa. Haven't sold a single speaker to anyone attending LSAF. But what should I expect. It's a DIY event. So this year, I am changing my approach. Rather than bring products for sale, I'm going to bring a demo of an all digital bi-amped two-way based on a full-ranger on top crossed at ~200Hz to a pair of stereo subs that are flat to 20Hz. Should be some good fun!

See you there.

Bob
Re: LSAF 2014 [message #79729 is a reply to message #79727] Wed, 19 March 2014 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Bob, Do you have a photo of it?

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: LSAF 2014 [message #79730 is a reply to message #79729] Wed, 19 March 2014 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Brines is currently offline  Bob Brines
Master
The rig is pretty well scattered about the man cave at the moment. I'll get some pictures up in the next week or so. The tops will be either The Alpair 7.3's

http://brinesacoustics.com/Pages/Mark_Audio/T7-A7.jpg

or Alpaire 10P's

http://brinesacoustics.com/Pages/Mark_Audio/B10-A10.jpg

The subs are still in plywood -- Dayton RSS315HF-4's in 2ft^3 sealed boxes. The amps are the Topping TP-60 (T2020) on top and the Crown XLS1500 on the subs.

Bob
Re: LSAF 2014 [message #79743 is a reply to message #79730] Thu, 20 March 2014 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Bob, they look nice....my handiwork with wood is at the level of making orange crates.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: LSAF 2014 [message #79755 is a reply to message #77456] Tue, 25 March 2014 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KJ Knowles is currently offline  KJ Knowles
Esquire
I have an ongoing personal project/experiment that might be fun to have at LSAF. It would certainly provide me more data points given all of the available victims...errr...subjects that will be there. Very Happy This is not really a classic DIY project, nor is it intended to lead to a for-profit product. It is just plain, old geekiness (which doesn't mean it can't be fun or informative).

I have experimenting with crossover functions using FIR filters. I'm trying to determine how a system incorporating them is perceived by critical listeners versus more common IIR filter implementations (other factors being equal).

I'm an physicist/acoustician whose work for a large corporation offers me fortunate access to a 50Hz anechoic chamber on those occasions when I am visiting the corporate headquarters. I designed a loudspeaker for the project that met the requirements of traveling with me in a suitcase (barely) on trips to corporate. It has drivers chosen to have bandwidth capability that can accommodate identical crossover points (in this case, 250 Hz, 3500 Hz) for both filter types.

I have set up the DSP processing so that I can change from FIR to IIR filtering on the fly in order to allow a listener(s) compare the two approaches. I have professional acquaintances give it a listen when the opportunity arises, but it would be great to have LSAF attendees do the same and see what the preference numbers are for a larger sample.

The speakers are not intended to be the last word in high end fidelity, but I don't think anyone will run out screaming with their hands over their ears. Loudspeaker system design is not exactly new for me.

I would record the preference by listener, but not report how the final numbers fall out until after the event. What do you think? Is it interesting enough to be worth doing?

KJK

Re: LSAF 2014 [message #79756 is a reply to message #79755] Wed, 26 March 2014 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That sounds like a great idea! Have you booked your room yet?

That's all you gotta do to attend. Just book your room. Make announcements here, just like you just did.

In fact, if you're motivated, you can sign up to give a talk. Let us know if you would be interested in that.

Re: LSAF 2014 [message #79757 is a reply to message #79756] Wed, 26 March 2014 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Cool. There is a meeting room on hold for the Saturday just for talks / presentations. Pretty much any subject, keep it to audio though. Right now there are few takers, I hate to pay for a room and not have anyone use it.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: LSAF 2014 [message #79759 is a reply to message #77456] Wed, 26 March 2014 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
KJ Knowles is currently offline  KJ Knowles
Esquire
The room is booked! (I had a pile Hotels.com free nights to burn...finally found a way to use a few of 'em Very Happy)

I have a talk on basic room acoustics that I developed for the Academy for the Advancement of High End Audio (anyone remember that?) and presented at the annual Stereophile Show a few times. I checked my file archives and I still have the PowerPoint presentation that I developed for it in my archives, so I could burn an hour or so of room time with that.

Just let me know if it would appropriate/useful.

Previous Topic: What Is LSAF?
Next Topic: LSAF 2015
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:54:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout