Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Flanking Subs Lead Newbie to Confusion (Active Crossover Balanced and Unbalanced Connections)
Flanking Subs Lead Newbie to Confusion [message #79367] Sun, 09 February 2014 10:34 Go to next message
DougM is currently offline  DougM
Esquire
Hello All,

Wayne's posts and helpful replies convinced me that my speaker build should be 3 Pi mains with flanking 3Pi subs. I'm working on the sub build first, and noticed that no crossovers arrived with the drivers for the subs. Research led me to believe that plate amps were of low quality, and I didn't think they'd sound good with my tube amp. Apparently active crossovers are the best option, and I got a deal on a demo model of the Rane 22S.

My next issue seems to be the balanced outputs of the Rane crossover. It looks like the easiest way to connect the balanced outputs of the Rane to my unbalanced Amp would be to have Blue Jeans Cable send me the correctly configured cables. Does anyone know if I should use #4 or #6 from the attachments?

index.php?t=getfile&id=1414&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=1413&private=0

Does this mean that I'll lose half my signal?

Confused,

DougM
Re: Flanking Subs Lead Newbie to Confusion [message #79370 is a reply to message #79367] Sun, 09 February 2014 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, No, but you will lose the benefits of the balanced line configuration (low noise, immunity to EMI). An alternative is something called a Direct Box from the Pro side of the house. They come in all sorts of configurations and will provide the connection you need. Both passive and active are available.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Flanking Subs Lead Newbie to Confusion [message #79371 is a reply to message #79370] Sun, 09 February 2014 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Hello Bruce,

Thanks so much for your help.

So I'm on track with the active crossover? I don't see any that review well that are also unbalanced input and output.

If I'm on track then, and I understand you correctly, then I'll want a direct box as well? Can you recommend any?

Thanks,

Doug
Re: Flanking Subs Lead Newbie to Confusion [message #79380 is a reply to message #79371] Mon, 10 February 2014 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Remember that balanced pairs are like speaker outputs, with a "+" and a "-", each signal being the compliment of the other. Unbalanced signals are referenced to ground or some other "zero" reference. The information is the same either way, as is the content and everything else. So nothing is lost or gained with respect to information or signal content. Its just a different interface. The main thing that makes balanced attractive is common mode rejection. Any signal coupled into the wire pair will be cancelled at the input(s), since each is the opposite of the other. Anything that is common to both is cancelled.

Re: Flanking Subs Lead Newbie to Confusion [message #79764 is a reply to message #79367] Fri, 28 March 2014 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Hello Wayne and Bruce,

Thanks for all your help. I had quite a bit of catching up to do.

I ended up making some Ebay purchases, and the sound is great!

Adcom GFA-555 amp
Rane Active Crossover
Rane Balance Buddy

I used copper laminate on the subs, and they came out pretty well. We've had quite a few cloudy days lately and the speaker didn't show up well in my photo, so I included a photo of the top of one of the speakers so you can see how beautiful they came out.

index.php?t=getfile&id=1450&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=1451&private=0

Thanks,
Doug
Re: Flanking Subs Lead Newbie to Confusion [message #79775 is a reply to message #79764] Tue, 01 April 2014 11:00 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Interesting! That looks really cool!

Previous Topic: Replacing Rectifier Tubes
Next Topic: ClarityCap tube PS caps (TC Series)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:14:53 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio