Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » horn types?
Re: horn types? [message #46055 is a reply to message #46053] Tue, 21 December 2004 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
scp53 is currently offline  scp53
Chancellor
ok, do you think that coax driver with a comp driver will have a good sound stage, disperassion(spelling), etc? im still thinking a regular 8 and a seperate horn. but what the heck, if you KNOW it will work ill do it maybe. can you think of any other configs?

thanks, scp53

Re: horn types? [message #46057 is a reply to message #46055] Wed, 22 December 2004 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
Perhaps not. I forgot you probably have a limited choice of x-over frequencies on the surround processor, so the beta might not go low enough. You might get away with 80Hz but you would want a high order slope when running a Beta that low. I quess 75Hz 2nd order is standard. It's just my poor stereo brain in a big surround world.

I know the 1Pi (Alpha 8) is great. I helped a friend build some 1Pi kits and he uses them for main, center and rear with a retail sub, very nice indeed. I was very impressed and will recommend to anyone looking at this size and power class of speaker. It is interresting that he did not have issue with the magnet under his TV, but I can not say if yours will be the same. All considered, My first thought the other day was 1Pi and That is still what I think. Wayne has everything you need, and probably has a good idea how to pad down the apt 50 to work in a 1Pi, since I know you want a horn on top.
Thomas

Re: horn types? [message #46058 is a reply to message #46057] Wed, 22 December 2004 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
ill wait for Wayne to drop his ideas. id like this center to play down around 60-70hz well. thanks

scp53

Re: horn types? [message #46059 is a reply to message #46058] Thu, 23 December 2004 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Sorry I didn't jump in sooner, but it looked to me like you guys had things pretty well covered. As I said earlier, "what I'd do" is shown in my plans. I'd go with one π or two π speakers, just as they are. They're simple designs, the drivers blend nicely, and they sound very good. Or if you have the room, Theater three π or Thermionic eight π speakers are more powerful and sound very nice. I've already done the design work on each of these, and I'm pleased with their performance.

Re: horn types? [message #46060 is a reply to message #46059] Thu, 23 December 2004 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
ok, is there a way to use a different hf driver? i doubt a piezo will match my small compression drivers in the klipsch. id like to use the apt150 or something similar. and could i just turn the cab on its side for center channel use?

scp53

Re: horn types? [message #46061 is a reply to message #46060] Thu, 23 December 2004 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
You could certainly pair an APT tweeter with an Alpha 8 or 10 speaker, and I'd expect good results. You'll need to pad the tweeter down to match, and you'll want a crossover slope that blends well. Very do-able.

I've used a handful of successful arrangements for speakers like these. The eight π loudspeaker uses an Alpha 10 on a midhorn and reflex-tuned rear chamber for the bass. I use a PSD2002 with 1.6kHz crossover. The one π, two π and two π tower speakers use a smaller tweeter crossed over higher. For many years, I used the KSN1038 piezo tweeter and I could count on very good performance from that part. But it looks like I'll be switching to the Vifa DX25 soon because the KSN1038 has been discontinued.

The KSN1038 is a compression horn driven by a small cone diaphragm. Performance is good particularly for the money. But supplies are nearly exhausted, and I'm not sure if and when CTS will find a buyer for the tooling. So I've redesigned to use a Vifa DX25 dome tweeter, which is silky and smooth. They're more expnsive, but they do sound nice.

I considered using the APT tweeters when making the change, but I decided on the Vifa DX25 instead. I used a first-order filter on the Vifa, and I suppose that might work on the APT too. But unless a person is very careful with input power, I'm not a fan of first-order crossovers on compression drivers. It's too easy to over-drive them and send the diaphragm into the phase plug.

Re: horn types? [message #46064 is a reply to message #46061] Fri, 24 December 2004 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
ok, could i buy your thermionic Eight pi Kit and turn the horn 90 degrees so the cab can lay on its side? and also could the horn lens be altered for up to 20khz response? my klipsch play to 20khz. that would sound odd i think. i might consider a alpha 8 with that same compression driver- input on that?

thanks, scp53

Re: horn types? [message #46074 is a reply to message #46064] Sat, 25 December 2004 21:45 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
You could certainly make the cabinet short and wide or deep, just as you say. Just a suggestion - Give the tweeter and its circuit a try as-is, and in fact, the entire loudspeaker. I think you'll be pleased.

Previous Topic: Piezo info
Next Topic: Virginia Beach Area Pi Speaker owners?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 19:54:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio