Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Hello World!
Neighbors! [message #33007 is a reply to message #33002] Wed, 21 March 2001 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne_Parham is currently offline  Wayne_Parham
Master
That's only about 2 hours away!
Re: Neighbors! [message #33009 is a reply to message #33007] Wed, 21 March 2001 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RBP is currently offline  RBP
Chancellor
Let's stay in touch...my email (direct link) is on this post.

Bill

PS. Love CTS/Motorola tweets... will tell more later...........

Re: Neighbors! [message #33012 is a reply to message #33009] Thu, 22 March 2001 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
OK, write when time permits!
Cool! (nt) [message #33014 is a reply to message #33012] Thu, 22 March 2001 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Re: This CTS? [message #33024 is a reply to message #33012] Thu, 22 March 2001 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crazy Dave is currently offline  Crazy Dave
Viscount
Is this the CTS that you are refering to?
Greetings from Canada... [message #33025 is a reply to message #32996] Thu, 22 March 2001 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jsalve is currently offline  jsalve
Chancellor
Congratulations on your new forum.

I just found out about this forum today, I've been too busy inhaling saw dust the past few days. I made a few screw ups but I am almost done, maybe one more day. I also took some pictures and will post these when everythings done.

I just received a confirmation today, my TAD's were shipped already and I should be getting it in approximately 5 days.

Regards,
Jeff

Pizza and beer. [message #33029 is a reply to message #33024] Thu, 22 March 2001 19:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
CTS use to be in Paducha (sp?) Kentucky. Central telephone Service is the old school name.

Looks like now they have shifted gears and into minature electronics and Piezo drivers. In 1972 I got my first McGee radio company (Kansas City Mo.)catalog. It was loaded with closeout drivers of all types. I was a kid in a candy store.

One very memorable product was a 15"woofer (CTS) and a compression horn and crossover with the mounting board. All cut out and ready to enclose for !19.95!!!! . The caption stated " Entire speaker system...Cheaper than a Pizza and beer!"

Those were THE good old days.

I would die for an old McGee catalog.....for nastalgia purposes from 1972-1976

The MIGHTY TAD MAN!!!!! [message #33033 is a reply to message #33025] Thu, 22 March 2001 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Good to see you here!
McGee [message #33034 is a reply to message #33029] Thu, 22 March 2001 20:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
I remember McGee in KC! They put out a catalog of electronics odd-and-ends. Good memories!
Killer! (Some more nastalgia...One last time..Long) [message #33039 is a reply to message #33034] Fri, 23 March 2001 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Chancellor
Another one was the Maximus 1 woofer. I just could not scrape up 12 bux for it. It was a 3" woofer that had an alnico magnet that must have been 4" deep. looked like a flashlight

Calrad horns. Bought tons of them

They claimed the motorola super horn as the "best".

"Don't worry about a crossover on this one....as it adjust itself to whatever woofer you are going to use. Takes it about 2 hours"

My Dad bought a CB/8track/AM/FM Car stereo there with the CB controller built into the microphone.

In 72, I was 13 years old. I would mow ALL DAY...Just so I could order a single woofer. My favorite was an 8" Utah with an alnico magnet, and 2" voice coil for 5.95. FS was rated at 22hZ. After 2 years the foam surround would just dissolve. They thought I was nuts when I ordered 100 3" cone tweeters. I used them in some Huge line arrays... 80 inches tall, 25 tweeters in two rows in each cabinet. I wanted "big" highs. They were the killer 3/4" voice coil CTS Phenolic ring radiators...(Yello Phenolic ring around the viscious damped cone)

Funny thing, the woofers were 12" fender lead guitar speakers,(Tuned to 45hZ) and the line arrays. In 1974, I got a Buddy that was dating my Sister to take those (and me) to a Local Hi Fi shop in Pensacola. This one sold Mid Fi..(Sansui/Pioneer/Garrard,Cerwin Vega) I asked them if I could bring in my speakers to check out some receivers, or Amps.

They said "Sure kid". Well when we arrived at the back door, their eyes were as big as saucers. When we hooked them up, a customer offered my 2K for them...and I built the Klipschorns, and Bought a McIntosh 2105, Dyna PAS3, and a Garrard Zero 100...with M91ED.

That was the second pair of homemade speakers I "accidently" sold in their shop.

At another Shop...I walked in while my Dad went to a model airplane shop..(Dropped me off)and looked around for 20 mins...did not get greeted. I saw the McIntosh. Next week...I went in (had 1300.00 cash in my pocket) and looked around some more. I walked around for 15 mins, and spotted the JBL L200's. I knew the grills were removable...so when I went to peek inside..the velcro when zzziiiipppp. That got their attention..and the Guy came in from the other room...and said...WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE! Get out...scram...don't come back! My Dad asked me upon picking me up..."Well...where is your amp?" For the first time in my life...like an adult I said to him. "Well Pop...not from that Fucking place".

He looked at me and said...."well I guess you can order one".(never said anything about the expletive). Guess he was still in the mode from talking model Airplanes. The next weekend (16 years old) I drove 350 miles to Atlanta (by myself) and walked into the Mac dealer, and asked if I could see the 2105. He said sure!....What albums do you like...I said...well I will spare you the audition....Let's just write it up! We stayed in touch for years...and I bet the other HiFi shop lost over 40 grand from me, and possibly over 200 grand from all my "rich buddies" over the years.

Shows how treating a Kid...Future customer...can be very rewarding.

Those assholes just did not have the brains to realize that even a 15/16 year old kid (back then) would be treated legally as a full blown adult in 2/3 years.

Well....sorry for the belly full...but my mind is especially sharp on those old times. I swear I remember just how some of that equipment sounded ...to this day. The McGee catalog would surely bring back more memories. Those were the Days....

Previous Topic: plywood vs mdf
Next Topic: Horn flares for compression drivers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 02 15:25:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout