Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » meeting write-ups
Re: meeting write-ups [message #56078 is a reply to message #56077] Mon, 17 January 2005 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Sounds good to me! This is the most interesting aspect of discussing audio within any venue, what makes good sound. After that it becomes academic. I see your point about Hiesenberg and I regret to admit I mis interpreted you on that one. Simply stated I just believe everyone knows good sound when they hear it; like you say it can't be deconstructed.
I am looking forward to the Pre-amp now. Somewhat skepticle for a short while but now the newest posts from Douglas sound like he is really revved on this and working on some interesting ideas. The parts you are ordering; which concept will you be following if I may ask; or is that part of the surprise?

Re: meeting write-ups [message #56079 is a reply to message #56078] Mon, 17 January 2005 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Oh come on. I expected to be drug over the coals for offering such a non-scientific response to your very valid inquiry. I think your post under General of "Why?" was interesting. Each person enjoys this hobby for different reasons. Either to obtain the best sound for their particual musical taste, or like, me, the love of building and assembling a system - be it DIY or store bought.

Many times I have lost sight of what is the most important aspect of this hobby: the music. I have done all the tweeks and upgrades, but for what? All this effort does not change the notes being played. My efforts do not change the valve Miles Davis decided to push or the phrasing of a sonata. Are we trying to listen to the music or understand the music?

Is the fact that we are trying to understand the best way to reproduce the music slant our appreciation of the content? Do we look for recordings that will best show off our system and ignore erlier recordings because the fidelidty is not there? Yes, I am guilty as charged.

I build so I have a understanding of what the parts are doing. I don't want my system to be a "black box." Many people are happy with this plug-andplay approach (e.g. Bose) but I want more than that. I want to understand, but to what end?????????Colin

Re: meeting write-ups [message #56080 is a reply to message #56079] Mon, 17 January 2005 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
O'Kay since you ask; here is my view.
I listen to accomplish these goals. Memory/ the remmembrance of events tied to the music. Relaxation/to provoke a mood. To transport my thoughts away from the mundane and status quo. Here are my goals; to establish a retreat within my domain where I can sit quietly and absorb the music. The room/system and choice of music integrating into a harmony with my mood and state of mind. The system must be able to relax and enable me to find that connectedness wherein I am lost in the sound.
Wheew! The types of equipment that seem able to best create that environement tend to be tube/vinyl/efficient speakers of high quality. So;
When something in the chain doesn't do it; it is noticeable and takes away from the effect. Live music is never boring; even if it is not something I prefer.

That is the crux of the thing, bad or mediocre equipment is boring and does not involve one in the music. Hence the Bose quote.
Regarding sound absolutes. It is not cultural. Were that true than the sound of a nightingale would not be universally appreciated, but would be a cultural phenomenon indigenous to particular cultures. But that song is considered beautifull every where.
An acoustic guitar sounds good to all cultures. The style of music will differ but appreciation for the sound of the instrument remains.
That is the basis for my contention that there are absolutes in sound.
So when you walk by a room and hear some music played; you know if it sounds good or not. Even if you hate the music.

That is why I stopped going to meetings of audiophile clubs; they sit staring at some wall of equipment and no one seems able to admitt what sounds like crap or what sounds great. They make inane comments about soundstage or lower/upper midrange suckout, but cannot tell if it sounds like music or not.

Becoming actively involved in the hobby as you are doen't seem to me to be a drawback even if it takes away from time to listen or causes one to become sidetracked away from the music. I see the two aspects as representing totally different endeavors. Building and maintainig equipment is a satisfaction all it's own. The music and sound offers a n entirely seperate reward.
Regarding how best to pay homage to Miles; maybe just by providing the most musical setting and letting his legacy speak for itself.
Good stuff for a quiet holiday full of snow here!

Re: meeting write-ups [message #56081 is a reply to message #56080] Mon, 17 January 2005 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Hey, It's Mr. Mom again. I got a pizza in the over for th kids, so I'd thought pen a quick note.

Regarding cultural absolutes, I disagree there can be absolutes in beauty or its perseption of it. Beauty is defined by one's culture and background. Let's take an extreme example. I don not like hip-hop or rap. I find no beauty in it. Does this mean someone does not appreciate the artists or sound? Of course not. Would the person that does find beauty in this "music" have the same appreciation for the classics, as I. I don't know. This is an assumption I cannot make.

Going one step further, I do not find far-eastern musci all that pleasing. It's based on a different chromatic scale, something I did not experience in my cultural upbringing.

The Bose quote was was referring to the plug and play aspect. Even though it's considered mid-fi by most audiophiles, does this keep those from listening to such a system from enjoying the music as much as us? No, it doesn't.

Pizza's done. Gotta go.......

Re: meeting write-ups [message #56082 is a reply to message #56081] Mon, 17 January 2005 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I hope the Pizza's good! I think we have confused the creation of particular musical artifacts with the concept of the universal ability to know things that sound good. Even though you don't like the music created from the pentatonic scale should not mean you don't like the sound of a musical instrument heard live that might be used to perform in that style.
Is Michealangelo's David a universally accepted thing of beauty? Or the Taj Mahal? Would there be many who despised the look of that building?
If we agree on that then logically they stand as reference standards.
Many people listen to Bose; but how many would prefer that to real stereo providing they were exposed in such a way as to prevent them attaching price or advertising prejudice to either example?
Go Eat; mangia', enjoy the Pizza.

Re: meeting write-ups [message #56083 is a reply to message #56082] Mon, 17 January 2005 19:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
The pizza sucked. There, has that for an objective self critique.

It seems our discussion has come full circle. We concur there is not even a universal consensus on what beauty is, much less describing (or even agreeing on) subtle aural particulars of one's system. If there is not even a standard of beauty, then why trust anyone else's opinion for the more mundane? The fun part of this hobby is the journey and discovery, not the end.

This is why I would never say a bad thing about someone else's project. If they THINK they have reached audio nirvana, THEN THEY HAVE. It is just my subjective opinion versus theirs. Who am I to tell them differently? I'm just a nobody on the journey as well.

Oh yeah, about the group build surprise. I'm going to have name plates madeup with the ART logo, project name and builder's moniker on it. They will be sent to Wayne when done. Don't tell. Don't worry, no one will ever get this far down in this thread ......Colin

Re: meeting write-ups [message #56084 is a reply to message #56083] Tue, 18 January 2005 06:27 Go to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Excellent;Like the man said I don't care what you say about me as long as you spell my name right.

Previous Topic: Meeting Write-ups response
Next Topic: Joke Ahead: CAUTION - Not PC
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 14:26:42 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout