Home » Audio » Pro Sound » You can't hear or feel what isn't there.
You can't hear or feel what isn't there. [message #27897] Mon, 05 April 2004 06:16 Go to next message
Bill Fitzmaurice is currently offline  Bill Fitzmaurice
Grand Master
The question in this case has to do with live concert pro-sound. While flat response to 20 or 25 Hz is desireable for Home Theatre, or any movie theatre for that matter, it is simply unneccessary for live sound. There just isn't any program material down the there to justify it. In fact, one extensive study conducted at a 6,500 seat venue over the course of 30 concerts (all genres, from country to rap)found that for live music the majority of program material lies in the band from 60 to 80 Hz, with levels at 40 Hz down by 25dB from those at 60 Hz, and levels at 20 Hz virtually unmeasurable. So while the thought of getting your tailbone tickled by 20Hz tones at a live concert is an intriguing one, in reality it just doesn't happen. You'll get far more 20Hz excitement watching DVDs in your livingroom than at a concert.

Re: You can't hear or feel what isn't there. [message #27898 is a reply to message #27897] Mon, 05 April 2004 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kevin Jaggars is currently offline  Kevin Jaggars
Esquire
With all due respect, isn't this the old chicken and egg question. I'm sure you're correct that a majority of the sound energy is in the 60-80 Hz frequency band. But is that because the musicians have decided that they want nothing below 60hz or is it because there is rarely (if ever) a concert system that can produce anything meaningful below 60hz?

Thanks.

Re: You can't hear or feel what isn't there. [message #27899 is a reply to message #27898] Mon, 05 April 2004 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
At the concert venue where this study was conducted the typical speaker compliment consisted of 8 EAW 740/760 or JBL Vertec line array boxes flown over a cluster of eight to twelve horn loaded subs- per side, that is- pushed by 30 to 50kW of Crown or Crest amplification. These systems typically had the capability to go flat to 25 Hz at levels some 15-20dB higher than they were run at. I can assure you that neither lack of system capacity nor the musical tastes of the sound crews had anything to do with the result.

As to the first part of the question, the egg came first, as the first chicken was the product of the mutated DNA of whatever layed that particular egg.

Re: You can't hear or feel what isn't there. [message #27900 is a reply to message #27899] Mon, 05 April 2004 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kevin Jaggars is currently offline  Kevin Jaggars
Esquire
Ouch! I stand corrected :-)

Re: You can't hear or feel what isn't there. [message #27901 is a reply to message #27897] Mon, 05 April 2004 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hernan is currently offline  Hernan
Esquire
First off, thank you for the civil reply to what could have been read as an incindiary post.

But this is a sore subject for people that have to reinforce todays music. Basically it is because people have home theater systems that my system has to 'bump'.
More accurately it is because of the cabin effect(?) of car stereo's, that I am forced to extend system response.

Now I must concur that Heritage music does not have material below even 80 Hz. Todays heavy metal needs punch, but it doesnt need real sub frequency's. Rap/ Hip Hop does not need real sub frequencies either

Today's vinyl based music and protools laptop musicianship, not to mention the boundry setting of jazz and some savvy interpretations of classical rely heavily on real sub frequency.

Engineers from your generation viewed subs as luxury. What with thier extra wieght and bulk, musicians were lucky to get anything below 100Hz let alone real sub frequency's. You could say that accurate reproduction of source material was gimped by ignorance and lazyness.

But rave music changed all of that.

Forever.

So really,
-from my view point-
there should not be a discussion about source material below 35 Hz.
But how to insure that over a 100 db can be reproduced without distortion at FOH mix position.
The key word is distortion. So when the musician hits that low note on his roland 606 at full volume it doesnt stop at your system limiters Or worse yet peak out the amps or even worse yet actually blow the cones. No it doesnt do that, it comes out of the sound system unimpeded, truly "reinforced" and brings the crowd to a peak of extacy.

The sad thing is that system designers think that limiting is a viable solution to fielding a balls-less sound rig.

Re: You can't hear or feel what isn't there. [message #27902 is a reply to message #27900] Mon, 05 April 2004 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master

Hey, there are a lot of people who have the same misconceptions as to what kind of low frequency requirements there actually are for live concert sound, and more than a few of them are in the pro-touring sound business. Even the pro-touring sound companies that really know their stuff typically will set up four times as many subs at a gig than are actually required. Why? Because the musicians and their tour managers insist on it, if only for the visual impact. The sound companies don't care if they're hauling extra gear and having to use more roadies than they need, they're being well paid for them. One more reason why you don't see $25 concert tickets.

Here's an RTA of ZZ Top in action.

Link to RTA [message #27903 is a reply to message #27902] Mon, 05 April 2004 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
if you don't see it in previous post go to
http://hometown.aol.com/fitzmauricew/myhomepage/photo.html

Re: Link to RTA [message #27904 is a reply to message #27903] Tue, 06 April 2004 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
As far as I know ZZtop doesnt have any instrumentation that can produce anything below 80 Hz.

As I said before Heritage bands need nothing more than a 'punchy' kick.

Do you get any bands in your arena that arent collecting Social Security?

Re: Link to RTA [message #27905 is a reply to message #27904] Tue, 06 April 2004 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
The 1st octave fundamentals of electric bass run from about 41 to 82 Hz. However, it is the 2nd harmonic that contains the most sonic energy. That applies to all musical genres that use electric bass, not just to classic rock- which, by the way, didn't get to be called classic for nothing.

This RTA is not significantly different from those taken at a concerts by Ja Rule for one, as well as Deep Purple, Ted Nugent, David Lee Roth, Sammy Hagar, Brooks & Dunn, CS& N, Styx, Kansas, a dozen odd new wave acts whose names I don't remember (and in six months no one else will remember them either), and interestingly enough, the Boston Pops. While the gross SPLs of acts varied over a 10dB range the actual frequency content remained relatively constant, with Heavy Metal acts being the only exception, as they tended to have very little midrange content.

Re: Link to RTA [message #27906 is a reply to message #27905] Tue, 06 April 2004 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Esquire
Oh boy, I guess this conversation is a museum piece . Representing the old gaurd and thier suppositions and the bloodied generation of little 'e' engineers fighting both artist and systems (mis) providers.

None of those bands have low bass in thier music. It isnt thier style, even mainstream hip hop lacks decent bass. Thier old school roots tend toward the thump of a cheap drum machine kick.

So I guess you won me over. Mainstream arena music sports the frequency reponse of a yamaha ns10. You are right-if you are filling the rider for mainstream you may as well send out empty sub cabinets.

Even the Boston Pops could save money by leaving thier subwoofers at the next truckstop. More room in the trucks for lot lizards.

I am curious why even participate in a conversation about improving subwoofer performance. Wouldnt you be better served, wringing better response from a one box does all system?

You have data to prove that for all intensive purposes, a sound system only needs to go as low as 65 hz.

Albeit, at best you would have a "tight" 65hz coming out of a one box system, but from what I see in your data, who cares?

Previous Topic: www.AX84.com
Next Topic: Thank You!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jun 04 18:33:32 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout