Home » Audio » Pro Sound » tube amp output power question
tube amp output power question [message #26984] Wed, 19 January 2005 18:45 Go to next message
Rich Watkins is currently offline  Rich Watkins
Esquire
Mesa Boogie 20/20 stereo power amp has several output jacks on the back of the unit used for connecting you speaker cabinets. Two of the jacks (one left and one right) are labeled as 8 ohms. There are four other jacks also that are labeled as 4 ohms, (two left and two right). My question is this: I will be using a 4x12 cabinet that wired in stereo. All speakers in the cab are 8 ohms each. The left pair of speakers will be wired in parallel resulting in a 4 ohm load (for the left side). The right side speakers will be wired the same, also resulting in a 4 ohm load. Each pair of speakers with have its own 1/4 inch jack. Each speaker pair will totally independent from the other. Which set of output jacks (on the 20/20) should I use to power this stereo cabinet. I assume I should use a four ohm pair (one four ohm out left and one four ohm out right). Will the 20/20 provide equal output power to different load value cabinets? I want to get the full output potential in stereo out of this amp. Any help is appreciated.

Re: tube amp output power question [message #26985 is a reply to message #26984] Fri, 21 January 2005 13:07 Go to previous message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Almost certainly two 4-Ohms jacks are wired in parallel, in that way you can connect two 8-Ohms boxes left and two 8-Ohms boxes right, plugged in two 4-Ohms jacks. Maybe it is confusing without picture...:-)
You have one box divided in two parts, L & R, every part with 2X8 Ohms speakers in parallel = 4 Ohms. Obviously, connect left "half" to the one or another 4-Ohms jack on the left channel, and connect right "half" to the 4-Ohms jack on the right channel...

Previous Topic: Update to DIY site
Next Topic: EAW COMMERCIAL ONLINE RETAILERS
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jun 05 17:10:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout