Home » Audio » Speaker » ART array placement
ART array placement [message #24319] Thu, 08 May 2008 00:51 Go to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Fred was nice enough to bring a set of ART array cabinets to LSAF for me that he had put together. I plan on getting them finished in the next couple of weeks, but was wondering what the suggestions for placement might be. My listening room is not ideal as it is about 15' x 25' with a 10' vaulted ceiling (living room). Any suggestions on where to start as far as spacing and angle would be great.

Re: ART array placement [message #24327 is a reply to message #24319] Fri, 09 May 2008 19:12 Go to previous message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Positioning line arrays isn't much different from other types of speakers. I would start by positioning them where other speakers have sounded best, then moving them incrementally and doing listening comparisons. One of the biggest detriments to good sound is placing speakers where a standing wave is generated. In my room, placing speakers too near the corners generates a 120hz peak at the listening position, which makes them sound very boomy. So I move them out and away from the corners until the peak is minimized. I measure this by placing a Radio Shack sound meter where my ears usually are and playing test tones from a Stereophile test CD.

Danny Ritchie had mentioned his previous model line arrays, the Alpha LS, measured flat in an anechoic chamber, but it tended to overload his living room. He developed a network to control the bass. This isn't necessary with the Art arrays. Those 5.25" Dayton Classic woofers don't go as low as the speakers in the bigger line arrays, so excess output at the low bass frequencies hasn't been an issue.

Previous Topic: Paging Marlboro - your array....
Next Topic: ESI ner05 or Logitech Z-2300 ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 02 05:02:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio