Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Ющенко или Янукович?

Ющенко
Yushchenko
Янукович
Yanukovich

Yushchenko or Yanukovich?

Bush or Gore?

Who decides? What outside pressure is appropriate?

I thought you all might want to see what is being said about this across the pond. So I've found some English language news reports from Russian websites.

Pravda - Interference in the internal affairs of the CIS
The Russia Journal - Kuchma discusses situation in Ukraine with EU and US officials
Interfax - Yushchenko's headquarters challenges election results
Interfax - Putin congratulates Yanukovych on election
Interfax - Yushchenko supporters blocking international roads

The US, the EU, Canada . . . [message #54119 is a reply to message #54118] Thu, 25 November 2004 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
and other countries have denounced the election as rigged. Since these countries rarely see eye to eye on anything these days, it's hard to avoid the conclusion that Yanukovych, or pro-Russian elements within Ukraine, stole the election.

Whether a combination of international pressure and internal protest will be able to reverse the result, I can't say.

In the spirit of the day, I'll avoid commenting on any suggestion that the situation compares in any way with Bush v. Gore. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Yakov Smirnoff was the real winner [message #54120 is a reply to message #54119] Thu, 25 November 2004 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I haven't followed these matters closely so I can't say for sure. It appears to me that media from both sides tend to be too propogandized, so I don't believe either one. It's kind of like how half the world denounced the Bush/Gore election and the other half believed it was fair.

Besides, I hear most people did a write-in vote for Yakov Smirnoff, who was born in Odessa, Ukraine. I think the election was his and there was a conspiracy to cover it up.

Yakov Smirnoff

Re: Ukraine unrest [message #54121 is a reply to message #54118] Thu, 25 November 2004 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Now I get it! We can talk only if it does not include U.S. political scene. Yanukovych is a thug. He's backed by a stong arm wing of the hyper-industrialists from the east. Putin has to back him; they have the money and the means of production and are traditionally of Russian descent.

Re: Ukraine unrest [message #54122 is a reply to message #54121] Thu, 25 November 2004 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Not me, I can't talk about any of 'em. I just thought people might find the articles from the other side interesting. Everybody I know backs Yushchenko, both on this side of the pond and over there. But as for me, I think Yakov Smirnoff had him hands down.

Yakov Smirnoff

Score One for the Good Guys [message #54123 is a reply to message #54118] Sat, 27 November 2004 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
The Ukraine parliament has reportedly declared the election invalid.

Re: Score One for the Good Guys [message #54124 is a reply to message #54123] Sat, 27 November 2004 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
It's interesting to watch, isn't it?

More news from across the pond:

Re: Ukraine unrest [message #54126 is a reply to message #54118] Sun, 28 November 2004 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
paper trail is currently offline  paper trail
Esquire
Pravda is run by ultra left American expatriates these days. It isn't the same as the old Soviet run newspaper. It is even more left wing and anti-American than it was under the USSR.

Re: Ukraine unrest [message #54127 is a reply to message #54126] Sun, 28 November 2004 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Very true.

Nature of the fraud in Ukraine [message #54128 is a reply to message #54118] Sun, 28 November 2004 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Grand Master
Attached is an article describing some of the fraud and violence that occured. It begins:

"It was 5.30pm on election day in Ukraine when the thugs in masks arrived armed with rubber truncheons.

"Vitaly Kizima, an election monitor at Zhovtneve in Ukraine's Sumy region, watched in horror as 30 men in tracksuits stormed into the village polling station.

"'They started to beat voters and election officials, trying to push through towards the ballot boxes,' he told The Telegraph.

"'People's faces were cut from blows to the head. There was blood all over.'"

Previous Topic: Sears/Kmart
Next Topic: Oil For Food Program Scandal
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jun 04 00:31:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers