Home » Audio » Radio » Less People Listening To Radio
Re: Less People Listening To Radio [message #93642 is a reply to message #93641] Sun, 02 May 2021 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I listen to radio all the time. I have a bunch of tube radios and I love to use 'em. I also listen to radio in the car, but probably more often to cassettes.

One of my cars has a CD player and USB input, so I listen to digital audio in that car, but the others are old-school analog, which I love too.

So maybe radio is a generational thing. Maybe the younger crowd prefers digital streaming formats and platforms, and rarely uses radio. But for those over 40, maybe being accustomed to the personalities and the "user-experience" of radio - turn it on and dial in the station - keeps us comfortable with using it.
Re: Less People Listening To Radio [message #93643 is a reply to message #93642] Sun, 02 May 2021 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I just tried listening to AM on the car radio this morning, (Sunday). After maybe decades of neglect. Well, maybe I'll have to try in the evening and a weekday. Sports schlock, holy roller and a couple Hispanic music choices and that was all she wrote. I have an old tubed Bakelite Philco radio from the 60's that I need to resurrect. It's AM only but if I can ever find any half arsed show to listen to. That could be fun to hear it coming through the old time piece.
Re: Less People Listening To Radio [message #93644 is a reply to message #93643] Sun, 02 May 2021 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

FM tube table radios are kind of rare. I have several tube radios, mostly AM-only but probably a half-dozen that tune in SW bands. Only one of my tube radios picks up the FM band though.
Re: Less People Listening To Radio [message #93646 is a reply to message #93644] Sun, 02 May 2021 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Well it appears I have a Black Mamba on my hands. I was wrong on all counts. Not a Philco, not Bakelite, not 60's. It's a 1957 Motorola 57R table radio. Picture not representative of the current condition. It's filthy inside and out. No breakage though. I brushed off the initial crud. All the tubes look in good shape and the speakers pushes in and out freely. What is a good cleaner for the circuit board? Very retro baby, a la Austin Powers.

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2747&private=0

Re: Less People Listening To Radio [message #93648 is a reply to message #93646] Sun, 02 May 2021 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I love that radio!
Re: Less People Listening To Radio [message #93652 is a reply to message #93639] Tue, 04 May 2021 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Concorde is currently offline  Concorde
Master
Mica wrote on Sat, 01 May 2021 21:00
I don't think I have even turned the AM or FM radio on in my car. I listen to Sirius or Pandora. I got tired of the........bad jokes that the radio personalities told.
There is a radio personality duo that has a short spot on the T.V. news show I watch in the morning. Those guys are god-awful dorks, so I feel you on that one.
Re: Less People Listening To Radio [message #93917 is a reply to message #90432] Tue, 15 June 2021 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mulcahy is currently offline  Mulcahy
Chancellor
I agree that traditional real-time stations have been on the wane for a few decades. At the same time, radio has shape-shifted to livestreams. It will live on while adapting.
Re: Less People Listening To Radio [message #97709 is a reply to message #90432] Mon, 20 May 2024 11:19 Go to previous message
noodle is currently offline  noodle
Viscount
Where there are cars, there will be radio listeners. At the very least, people will tune in when other options go janky and they don't want to drive in silence.
Previous Topic: "Not a viable business anymore"
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 31 20:05:02 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout