Home » Audio » Source » Analog vs Digital
Re: Analog vs Digital [message #67257 is a reply to message #65967] Wed, 27 April 2011 19:10 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Thanks for the post Wayne. It was fun to read.

Mastering generally has to be really poor for me to complain about and Compression is not an issue unless it is very over the top.

A point I would like to make is that compression is not "clipping" like a certain idiot likes to claim on the internet. That is impossible. Clipping occurs during recording when the peak of the signal can not be captured, not when it is compressed and hard limited. That retains all of the information there was and it is not clipped off. This guy is being completely dishonest about how it works to perpetuate a business model that claims major labels and even indie labels do not care about audio quality. By calling it "clipping" he is insisting that there is a serious defect that only he can cure by remastering the album.

The only problem loud mastering causes in my experience is when you have a old piece of equipment that strictly enforces -96db operation. That causes problems when the average signal is 100db. I output to 24-bits and the loudest mastered album there is does not even come close to hitting 0db. Think about it. If MP3Gain can register the average volume at 100db than NOTHING is getting chopped off at that stage either.

16 bit has a Q value just like anything else. If the sound is too quiet it uses a lot less information to express the signal. Old CD's that peak at -6db are 14-bit recordings.

I'm really starting to believe that people that prefer ancient masters to a decent recent master like it because it contains more hiss and they like the vinyl EQ that was attached to those 2nd gen tapes that were used in the beginning.

Compression however, just like anything else, can be implemented poorly and that has been the case on a lot of records by engineers that were not patient enough to do it slowly, EQ, redo it, EQ again, ect. and by not being mindful or aware of how that sounds during extremely busy or quiet parts. Laziness ruins records and not compression, IMO.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message