Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Building 2 Pi Towers - Any Experience?
Re: Building 2 Pi Towers - Any Experience? [message #47809 is a reply to message #47802] Tue, 27 September 2005 04:06 Go to previous message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I recently finished a pair which are now playing in Speakermans second system. I noticed right away that they sounded 'smooth'. Tubino visited the other night and he said 'easy'. We all 3 agree the bass is quite impressive.
These are built from 3/4 MDF and veneered with paper-backed Walnut. I used what the GarMan calls window-bracing as well. I had some problems installing the fiberglass as I was used to 15" woofer holes; the little 10" hole doesn't leave very good access. Consequently, I would recommend (Duh!) installing the fiberglass before the front or back goes on.
Another thought is that when you listen well off-axis, and only off-axis the bass has a noticeably 'boxy' coloration. Instead of just 2 braces I would use three. I would probbaly also glue 30 LB roofing felt to the inside surfaces before installing the fiberglass. See the link.
The Alpha 10 has a surprisingly good mid-range and the Vifa DX 25 is outstanding. Driven by my Audio Note 300B or Ron's Welborne 300B this is a definite over-acheiver.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: 12 π basshorn - Coming together - Part 1
Next Topic: Help me design a simple and efficient car audio (horn? TL?) sub
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jun 05 17:47:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio