Home » Audio » Source » How much are your records worth?
Re: How much are your records worth? [message #12098 is a reply to message #12097] Fri, 22 April 2005 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
sort of depends on where you are located. In Kansas city, I find TONS of good quality used vinyle. My friends in seattle find way more than I do, and cheap. I have to listen to them and there great finds every time I talk to them. as near as I can tell, seattle is the most plentiful place to obtain Lps cheap. I wouldn't trade my vinyle rig (or any good one) for digital crap that passes for music these days. as far as downloaded music, the most part it is mp3, which is not allowed in my house. why record companies complain about people downloading this stuff is beyound me, unless they fear people will think the reason their mp3s sound so bad is something the record company did. I have had a lot of fun downloading "Bit torrents" which are usually DVD shows, or flac and shorten files of soundboard recordings. these methods are "lossless" types of compression, far better than mp3. There are tons of concert sound board files out there as well as liberated bootlegs that for the most part the record companies don't have the rights to, or don't care so they are legal to download. I have found soundboard recordings of concerts I attended 30 years or more ago! great fun. As you can tell, I am in my late forties and grew up with vinyle. To me, there is no other component with the mechanical magic of a turntable. Not to mention, as manualblock stated, sound is the best...but there is the cost...and the set up hassle. I enjoy driving myself crazy with that as I do pushing past 450 whp on pump gas. for the ones w/o the tolerance to fiddle, stick with digital. Myself, I don't mind fooling with it. If someone can't develope that love that requires the extra hassle vinyle requires, or thinks "I'll buy all this stuff and it will work out of the box like a cd player" they will probably not care for vinyle use. To each there own, I like vinyle, and I know manualblock does too, but it requires a certain "hard head" to put up with the set up headaches. Anyone else into the bit torrents?

Russellc

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message