Home » Audio » General » Southwest High End Audio Club of Houston
Southwest High End Audio Club of Houston [message #825] Tue, 14 September 2004 06:25 Go to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Everyone is invited to join us for our monthly meetings. For the September meeting we auditioned several tube amplifiers. On October 2nd we're meeting at Sound World Audio in Houston to see and hear some of their products. Email me for directions. Pictures from our September meeting in the link below.

Re: Southwest High End Audio Club of Houston [message #830 is a reply to message #825] Tue, 14 September 2004 20:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Saw your post over at the B'head forum. Glad to hear your P'mours stole the show. Are you running it stock? Looks like from your pics you're really into arrays. Which is your favorite? Can you share some thoughts?.....Colin

Re: Southwest High End Audio Club of Houston [message #831 is a reply to message #825] Wed, 15 September 2004 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi Fred,

Looks like a great time had by all. Did any of you get on the FSAudio list to try out the demo Stoetkit? If not, I heartily recommend you guys get on the list so you can hear it at one of your meetings. I really like it and I think you will too.

Wayne

Paramours [message #832 is a reply to message #830] Wed, 15 September 2004 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I wouldn't say the Paramours "stole the show", but people who have very expensive systems in their homes were surprised by the quality of their repoduction of vocals and the believable image they create. I'll respond to your question about line arrays on the array forum.

Re: Southwest High End Audio Club of Houston [message #834 is a reply to message #825] Wed, 15 September 2004 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Justin is currently offline  Justin
Esquire

That Cayin 500MK looks stunning, does it sound as good as it looks?
Also, what did you think of those Cabasse Egea speakers?
Could they do justice to the big iron tube amps?

Justin

Re: Southwest High End Audio Club of Houston [message #838 is a reply to message #834] Thu, 16 September 2004 19:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MusicAddict is currently offline  MusicAddict
Esquire
Justin:
The Cayin is an excellent integrated amplifier. I purchased this unit because it uses the 829B family of power tubes and I had to see if the sound could be at the same level as something with the more expensive EL-34's or the 800B's and IMO this unit performs right there with them. I have a Red Rose Silver Signature amplifier (EL-34's) with the matching pre-amp and the Manley Neo-Classics (800B's) with a VTL-5.5 pre-amp and this Cayin is right them with them. My particular unit is manufactured in Germany and when you open it up, you can really tell that quality and craftsmanship was put into it. I am very partial to this one, so my view is very one sided but all you have to do is listen to it. It is very controlled, very wide range and just a flat out pleasure to listen to.

The Cabasse Egea's - This is difficult for me because my room is upstairs, carpeted and is a small room. These speakers just did not work with that combination. In my room with these speakers, there was no bass, no low end at all, only the mid-range and treble, horrible to hear. Now you can take care of that with a sub-woofer but when some one tells me that I will need to spend $4000.00 to get this pair of speakers and then after that I will have to let go of more money for a pair of sub-woofers, my interest in these speakers went completely out the window. In addition, the person that was trying to sell me these speakers, told me that I was clipping my current speakers and I do not like being treated as some one who is ignorant. You clip an amplifier, you do not clip a speaker and basically this person was only trying to make a sale, was very pushy and I flat out do not care for that garbage in any manner what so ever. Now a friend of mine has these speakers with the matching sub-woofers and she is completely happy with them. They worked for her. Basically, you will need to try them and judge for yourself. Since the Egea's, I have tried the JM Labs 926's, the Klipsch RF-7's and another brand (sold by Julian Turner of Sedonna Sound out of Austin, Texas) whose name I cannot remember and the JM Labs and the Klipsch's worked far better for me than the Cabasse Egea's.

As far as the question about the big iron tube amps - I cannot answer that question because almost all of my amplifiers are 9 to 11 watt triodes and cannot compare in power to what you own and use.

The best of luck to you.

Origin of Cayin? [message #841 is a reply to message #838] Fri, 17 September 2004 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I thought all Cayin's were manufactured in China by Spark. I have a Cayin TA30, which is manufactured in China, and the build and craftsmanship are superb. Also, I believe Red Rose is a Chinese manufactured rebrand as well (KorSun?), but I could be mistaken....Colin

Re: Origin of Cayin? [message #842 is a reply to message #841] Fri, 17 September 2004 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MusicAddict is currently offline  MusicAddict
Esquire
Please note that I do not know about all Cayin products. The unit that I own is one from Germany and below is the website address, the only problem is that I do not know how to read German. I did use Babelfish to try to translate the site but it was garbled and difficult to follow. If you want I can e-mail you a copy of the information on the company out of my manual, please just let me know.

http://www.cayin.com

Re: Origin of Cayin? [message #843 is a reply to message #842] Fri, 17 September 2004 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
The www.cayin.com web site says "Audio Distribution," which I assume to mean they are a distributor. If you go to http://www.sparkaudio.com/indexe.asp and scroll down to "Germany" and click, this takes you to the cayin.com website out of Germany. However, looking through the Spark audio lines, I do not see the 500. By the way, that is one SEXY looking amp.....Colin

Re: Origin of Cayin? [message #844 is a reply to message #843] Fri, 17 September 2004 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I second that -

The Cayin is one sweet looking amp!

Previous Topic: Great Plains Audio Club meeting - September 25th @ 3:00pm
Next Topic: Steotkit Jr.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jun 11 08:06:14 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio