Home » Audio » General » A measurement question?
A measurement question? [message #756] Fri, 20 August 2004 05:25 Go to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Is running a fixed frequency through a loudspeaker and measuring amplitudes (or relative amplitudes) at the harmonic intervals an appropriate way to assess speaker performance?

Specifically, I'm wondering if I can appropriatley assess the second harmonic "distortion" of a dipole by feeding the speaker say 50 Hz at 80 dB and measuring the level at 100 Hz?

Is it that simple?

Harmonic distortion [message #757 is a reply to message #756] Fri, 20 August 2004 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ralph is currently offline  Ralph
Viscount
That is exactly how harmonic distortion is measured. Use a pure sine at one frequency and measure the output at that frequency and multiples.

Re: Harmonic distortion Thanks! A follow-up, please? [message #758 is a reply to message #757] Fri, 20 August 2004 17:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
IF, in the example I used, The 50Hz fundamental was 100dB, and the first harmonic at 100Hz was 25dB, it would be expressed as 25% harmonic distortion?

TIA

Re: Harmonic distortion Thanks! A follow-up, please? [message #759 is a reply to message #758] Sat, 21 August 2004 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike.e is currently offline  Mike.e
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Check in your local library for audio technical books.I had one with a picture of the B&W

Re % and db,no because db are log scale.
"Distortion is higher at 20 Hz than at 30 Hz even though the displacement is the same. This is a curious result. The fundamental drops 40log(30/20) = 7 dB, as expected. The 2nd and 3rd harmonics, though, remain at nearly the same sound level, as the voice coil swings through the same range for each of the excursion dependent non-linear parameters. Thus the distortion percentage increases"

-I dont think so-

addition [message #760 is a reply to message #759] Sat, 21 August 2004 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike.e is currently offline  Mike.e
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I got carried away and forgot to mention that both Speaker Workshop and a german program(HOBBYBOX4) measures distortion very easily i heard.(demo version of mlssa perhaps also/

Thanks, mike [message #761 is a reply to message #760] Sat, 21 August 2004 06:34 Go to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I probably would have remembered about the log relationship somewhere in the 22nd century; thanks for the reminder.

I had downloaded a copy of Speaker Workshop some time ago but never got around to exploring it. Guess I will now.

Thanks again.

Previous Topic: Happy Friday the 13th!
Next Topic: VTV issues arried...and what timing
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 09 22:19:24 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers