Home » Audio » Movies & Music » DVD... Or something better?
DVD... Or something better? [message #7261] Mon, 13 November 2006 13:00 Go to next message
destiny is currently offline  destiny
Baron
As I mentioned before, I'd like to start building a library. But I did that years ago with VHS and now I'm sitting here planning to stick them all on eBay. So my question is... will the same thing happen with the DVDs I'd like to start collecting? Totally obsolete in a few years?

Re: DVD... Or something better? [message #7264 is a reply to message #7261] Mon, 13 November 2006 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jimmys devoted is currently offline  jimmys devoted
Baron
we have over 500 VHS cassettes and we too are starting to rebuild with DVD.
Theer has go to be someway to connect the VCR to the computer to burn a DVD. We have a DVD burner on my husbands system. I ahve noticed alot more of my favorite movie son DVD now in the dolalr bins.

What I need ot get are the good copies of my favorites liek The NUNs story, the ODD COUPLE, Sunshine boys. I like the moies ofr the 40s, 50 and osme from the 60s.
I Am not so sure that teh DVD will go out as quickly as teh VHS. Of course the VHS hada long history as well.
If you think about it you can put two or three movies on one DVD and keep your collection small.
I dont think worrying about what will come down teh pike next is something to consider, I think just keeping the movies in any collection is the most important thing.
Now I was wonderinga botu the game memory chips that can hold movies as well... making duplicates in cross media might solve the question. at least your covered ona few fronts that way.
julie

Re: DVD... Or something better? [message #7267 is a reply to message #7264] Tue, 14 November 2006 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Yes, I really need to do something. If burning them myself, yes, a few on one DVD would be a great idea. If buying them separately, I'd sure wish I could find a bunch of them in the dollar bin.

Re: DVD... Or something better? [message #7270 is a reply to message #7267] Tue, 14 November 2006 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jimmys devoted is currently offline  jimmys devoted
Baron
Dollar general has some, but we find them mostly at Family dollar.
They ahd MI 1 and II, they had Spiderman, batman the movies, a few that came out last year.
Its worth the few minuites ot go through them to get at least some movies. Also Big LOts is getting them n for 2 bucks a pop! they are single stocking stuffers, no fancy extra scenes just the movies........

Home Theatre magazine [message #7278 is a reply to message #7261] Wed, 15 November 2006 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Best AV magazine around. Keeps you up-to-date on the future of AV trends.

Looks like HD-DVD and BlueRay are the front runners of the next generation (although not compatible with each other.) Video-on-demand is already here (and quite affordable in our area.)

Sit back and enjoy your collection of 480i vids. Wait until things get sorted out. You'll drive yourself crazy trying to keep up. Hell, even the industry can't decide on standards - don't even get started on aspect ratios, refresh rates, up/down sampling, etc.....C

Re: DVD... Or something better? [message #7281 is a reply to message #7270] Wed, 15 November 2006 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
That sounds like a good way to help build a video library. I'll
have to start looking in some of those bins. I usually think I'm
too rushed, but it's a very good idea.

Re: Home Theatre magazine [message #7283 is a reply to message #7278] Wed, 15 November 2006 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Thanks. I know someone who'd really like this magazine and I'll try to find a subscription for a gift.

Re: DVD... Or something better? [message #7379 is a reply to message #7261] Fri, 09 February 2007 04:25 Go to previous message
shinningstar is currently offline  shinningstar
Viscount
It will be better if you'll prefer the DVD. Almost all people nowadays are using DVD. That's the new fashion and trend. Why not go with the flow?

Previous Topic: Spiderman 3
Next Topic: Fearless
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 09 20:57:12 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout