Home » Audio » General » Tinnitus
Tinnitus [message #72115] Thu, 12 April 2012 10:09 Go to next message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Can tinnitus be permanent? I think most people have had brief episodes, either randomly or from exposure to loud noises, but do some people have it for the rest of their lives?
Re: Tinnitus [message #72118 is a reply to message #72115] Thu, 12 April 2012 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
The short answer is yes. Sad It bugs me at low levels. Only though when it is really quiet around me. Fortunately it has not chosen to interfere with music listening - at least not yet.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Tinnitus [message #72119 is a reply to message #72115] Thu, 12 April 2012 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Equinom is currently offline  Equinom
Viscount
Is it bad that I had to look up this term to make sure I had the right definition, before posting here? As of now, I have yet to develop Tinnitus. I would imagine once it develops, you never really can get rid of it. It will stick around for the rest of your life to some degree.
Re: Tinnitus [message #72128 is a reply to message #72115] Fri, 13 April 2012 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
It can be temporary or permanent, depending on the cause and severity. I'm sorry to hear you have this condition, Bruce, and I can see why it'd bother you!
Re: Tinnitus [message #72131 is a reply to message #72115] Fri, 13 April 2012 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Mine is similar to Bruce's. In a quiet room it will drive me crazy. I've noticed that acetaminophen will make it worse.

Too much loud ass music when playing in a band for years and going to rock concerts.
Re: Tinnitus [message #72139 is a reply to message #72131] Fri, 13 April 2012 20:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I suspect there are several variations of it. Mine is low level and is like an inter station hiss on FM. Some folks seem to have specific frequencies. That would be bad. A low level hiss I can live with a constant middle C would drive me nuts. (my spouse says that would only be a short trip from where I am now Rolling Eyes )

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Tinnitus [message #72140 is a reply to message #72139] Fri, 13 April 2012 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Mine is a specific frequency, but I've never bothered to see what. Remember when you used to walk into a room full of CRT monitors? That high pitched "whine", that's it. I've got a ceiling fan going over my head right now with a TV fairly loud in the other room and I can hear that whine pretty damn good. I guess I've learned to live with it. Certain frequencies of voices I have a hard time hearing. If someone is talking to my back it more often than not is mumbling to me.
Re: Tinnitus [message #72489 is a reply to message #72115] Wed, 02 May 2012 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TurnItUp is currently offline  TurnItUp
Viscount
I am sorry you guys! I couldn't imagine having to deal with it permanently, but I know there are many people who do. I have had issues with it when I have had an ear infection before, but fortunately it didn't last more than a couple of days.
Re: Tinnitus [message #72493 is a reply to message #72115] Wed, 02 May 2012 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
love2play is currently offline  love2play
Master
I did not know that some people have permanent tinnitus! I imagine that could get pretty annoying, but I suppose like anything else after awhile you just get used to it.
Re: Tinnitus [message #72497 is a reply to message #72493] Wed, 02 May 2012 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
love2play wrote on Wed, 02 May 2012 13:58
I did not know that some people have permanent tinnitus! I imagine that could get pretty annoying, but I suppose like anything else after awhile you just get used to it.

Well, you do learn to ignore it at times, but it's hard. I found out my son is actually helping another guy do some programming work for a trial study on tinnitus elimination. They seem to be focusing specific frequencies to permanently cancel out the damage. I need to check into it more and see if I can be a test subject.
Previous Topic: A decent cd player
Next Topic: Ultra High Frequencies
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jun 10 17:40:34 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout