Home » Audio » General » Would someone bring me up to speed on 6 channel audio?
icon5.gif  Would someone bring me up to speed on 6 channel audio? [message #71764] Wed, 14 March 2012 13:58 Go to next message
FloydV is currently offline  FloydV
Master
Thinking that 6 channel sound selections were so small, I never paid much attention to the formats and players. But, I was watching John Fogerty's band perform The Long Road Home on HDNet and it irritated me realize I could only get that kind of surround from a BR video.

I went to Wikipedia, and it says that there is only 5 channel surround available and that would be on a DVD-A and it is really only stereo with fake surround for the rest.

It further stated that bit rates would be different for the surrounds compared to the front three channels. I looked on Amazon, and they show a DVD-A player for $199 that claims six real channels.

I am probably confused by SACD which is on CD. That format seems to require 6 preamps feeding 6 power amps which is idiotic considering that BR discs can stream all the channels over a single cable to one 6 channel amp. But there are no music only BR discs that I have read about.

You can see my confusion. I'm looking for discrete 6 channel music from either a DVD or BRD that will operate with my BR or DVD player. Are there any such discs (music only vs. video/music)on either DVD or BRD?

As far as I can tell SACD is dead.

I would appreciate a brief walk through. Confused

Floyd

He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. -- Albert Einstein
Re: Would someone bring me up to speed on 6 channel audio? [message #71765 is a reply to message #71764] Wed, 14 March 2012 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Soooo many formats and codecs.

I've just moved to BluRay. Every BluRay disk I own except one has night and day better sound than CD or DVD. I realize there are lots of variables that contribute to this qualitative difference, everything from the recording to the mix to the codex. But in the end, I think the teams that do each of these tasks pay much more attention to detail, focusing on maximum quality for the BluRay distribution. So the end result is a much higher quality user experience, not just in video but also in audio.

Re: Would someone bring me up to speed on 6 channel audio? [message #71766 is a reply to message #71765] Wed, 14 March 2012 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Wayne Parham wrote on Wed, 14 March 2012 15:18

Soooo many formats and codecs.

I've just moved to BluRay. Every BluRay disk I own except one has night and day better sound than CD or DVD. I realize there are lots of variables that contribute to this qualitative difference, everything from the recording to the mix to the codex. But in the end, I think the teams that do each of these tasks pay much more attention to detail, focusing on maximum quality for the BluRay distribution. So the end result is a much higher quality user experience, not just in video but also in audio.

Yes, but are there BR audio only discs? Or BR discs that primarily focus on music in the way that CDs do. If there are, they should be cheaper since no video production is involved. Where would I look for such a disc? How would it be designated?

If not, you would have to listen to video musicals (yuk). If it comes down to DVD-A or no music collection, I'll take DVD-A.

You are right about regular movie type BR discs being night and day better than everything else as far as audio (or video).

I'm trying to figure out an alternative to CDs or vinyl to add to my music collection. Surround is to stereo what stereo is to mono, in my opinion. That old two channel venue won't hunt anymore

He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. -- Albert Einstein
Re: Would someone bring me up to speed on 6 channel audio? [message #71768 is a reply to message #71766] Wed, 14 March 2012 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I have only seen about a half-dozen music-only BluRay disks so far, and most are kind of boring. They have video output, displaying a playlist and info about the music playing. Most of the really good BluRay material out there is actually live music performances. There's a few dozen titles like those. I keep an eye out for them and buy about every one I see.

Here's a list:
Re: Would someone bring me up to speed on 6 channel audio? [message #71770 is a reply to message #71768] Wed, 14 March 2012 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Thank you so much. That price isn't that far from regular CDs, and it will work with my BR player! I'm going to order something now.

Floyd

Re: Would someone bring me up to speed on 6 channel audio? [message #72000 is a reply to message #71764] Wed, 04 April 2012 14:33 Go to previous message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I've only heard of 2 different types of 6 channel.

One is used in movie theaters, they have the front speakers in stereo, what they call a mid channel where the mid channel is in stereo about half way back through audience which is mainly special effects, then the rear speakers.

The other one is the normal 4 speaker surround set up but there using stereo subwoofers which makes no since. Since everything below 100hz becomes omni-directonal anyway.
Previous Topic: Turtle Beach Headset
Next Topic: Speaker or Headphone For an Unborn Baby
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 08 02:49:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout