Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Just bought some JBL 3677...? about the CD and horn
Re: Just bought some JBL 3677...? about the CD and horn [message #64204 is a reply to message #64175] Wed, 06 October 2010 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CDY2179 is currently offline  CDY2179
Chancellor
Well last night I ordered

1- H290s and 1-Selenium HC23-25.

I'll try them both and see who wins. The Selenium HC23-25 is odd looking but it seems to be the best selling horn at Parts Express. There are bunches of comments on how nice it sounds and well it images and isn't too agressive even on axis...it goes really low and it was cheap.

Have you heard that horn Wayne? Anyways looking forward to trying the two horns out.
Comparing components verses comparing systems [message #64206 is a reply to message #64204] Wed, 06 October 2010 18:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The thing is, you have to do some work to optimize a loudspeaker system properly, and you can't really compare the horns until you do. On the other hand, you can make some measurements of the horns by themselves for comparison. This will allow you to make some educated guesses about how each will do when put into a system.

Generally, if the horns are about the same length, width and height, you can expect to have about the same issues when implementing them. There are a lot of other things that are important, of course, including flare rate and profile. But disregarding certain directivity details and other quality metrics for a moment, the basic dimensions have to be somewhat similar to even get close to an apples-to-apples comparison.

The center-to-center distance between the tweeter horn and the next adjacent subsystem (midrange or midwoofer) is largely set by its height. This is a big part of what determines the size of the forward lobe, the distance between vertical nulls. The length of the horn creates a fixed delay, and it's other properties cause it to be partially reactive, especially down low, where crossover usually happens. So these have affect the phase, in part setting the position of the forward lobe and ultimately driving the crossover design which has to take this into consideration. It's not just a matter of splitting out the lows to protect the driver, but it must also provide mass-rolloff compensation and phase manipulation to position the forward lobe.

The bottom line is it is impossible to fully compare the loudspeakers that may be made from two horns without doing some designs and tests. You can compare the horns, but that's not the whole story. If they're similar enough, you can make soem assumptions that will probably hold true. But you won't really know until you've successfully built with them.

Re: Just bought some JBL 3677...? about the CD and horn [message #64211 is a reply to message #64175] Thu, 07 October 2010 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Thank's for takng the time to explain that Wayne. Some of that I thought of, some I didn't. The H290s is actually very close to the same size as the 2373 horn within .5" in all measurements. The Selenium HC23-25 is quite different. So if the H290 performs well I should be OK just swapping it out...Right? The depth is about the same so I shouldn't have any delay problems and when I build new boxes I just need to maintain the CD to woofer distance.

Does it sound like I'll be OK?

Also last night I put the JBL CDs back in and it has a much stronger sound to it than the Seleniums do. It sounds a lot better with vocals near the Xover point as it seems to blend with the JBL 15s much better. I EQed the treble up also which did help the top end.
Re: Comparing components verses comparing systems [message #64215 is a reply to message #64211] Thu, 07 October 2010 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

When swapping horns, if their size is similar (HxWxD) and their directivity characteristics are similar, then they are at least in the same ballpark. There may be some specific details that require attention, and some crossover changes may be required. But the basic crossover topology should probably be the same.

Generally, you have two common directivity contours, constant directivity being one and collapsing directivity being the other.

Exponential and tractrix horns have collapsing directivity and so those can be considered similar to each other when designing the crossover. Mass rolloff is somewhat equalized with acoustic equalization, at least on-axis.

Conical, radial, oblate and prolate spheroidal and the various proprietary constant directivity designs like Mantarays and BiRadials all provide similar response over a wide arc. There is no acoustic equalization from collapsing directivity so mass rolloff has to be compensated with equalization in the crossover. This is the topology of my crossover designs, having an R1/R2/C1 network for top-octave compensation.
Re: Just bought some JBL 3677...? about the CD and horn [message #64216 is a reply to message #64175] Thu, 07 October 2010 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Well hopefully I'll have good luck. Just curious....how much are your xovers for the 4pi with the JBL 15 and B&C CD.

The caps and inductor used in the JBL Xover is surprisingly small..and look cheap. If the horn smooths it out I was thinking of maybe upgrading a few of the components in the Xover to see if it improves the sound even more or buying a xover from you... I realize your's are optimized for the JBL to B&C...so that may mean I have to change the CD too.
Crossover boards [message #64218 is a reply to message #64216] Thu, 07 October 2010 17:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
There are various options available, so check the link above for pricing. You can get 15 guage or 18 guage coils, your choice of standard or premium resistors and an assortment of brands of high grade poly caps. Below is a photo of the version with Auricaps, Mills resistors and 15 guage coils.

The picture actually shows me drawing an outline to cut out a gasket. I like to mount the crossover boards directly to an inside panel to prevent vibration, and put liberal daubs of silicon under the coils to cushion them too. Use a hole punch on the gasket for mounting holes. Sandwich the gasket between the crossover and bottom or back of the box and snug it down. Easy as Pi!

http://www.pispeakers.com/misc/pcb_gasket_outline.jpg
icon9.gif  Re: Just bought some JBL 3677...? about the CD and horn [message #64219 is a reply to message #64175] Thu, 07 October 2010 20:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
WOW..that's an impressive Xover. The JBL Xover board is the size of 1 and a half decks of cards.

Am I correct in the assumption that in order to use your Xover I'll need to use the h290 with the B&C not my current JBL?

I'm almost wishing I had spent my money on a 4pi Sad instead of JBL.
Re: Comparing components verses comparing systems [message #64223 is a reply to message #64219] Fri, 08 October 2010 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

If you want the performance of the four π, you'll have to build a four π. Using another horn or baffle layout may or may not work as well. Most certainly you'll have to go through a design/test development life cycle if you change anything and still want it to sound as good.
I don't mean to be arrogant or dismissive, it isn't that at all. It's just that I've done several designs like this and I have a feel for what changes result when swapping parts, and I also know the amount of effort required to make them right and perfect a design.

The nice thing is it's a pretty simple system, easy to build using inexpensive parts. You've already got the most expensive part - the woofer. So you can easily build the box and procure the horn to build the speaker as shown in the plans. Sell what you don't need and that will help fund whatever you don't already have.

Re: Just bought some JBL 3677...? about the CD and horn [message #64232 is a reply to message #64175] Sun, 10 October 2010 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
You're not comming across arrogant at all. I'm very happy to have your input.

The JBLs have smoothed out but they cut off so low they're missing that sparkle. So I'm going to sell the 2416s and buy 3 B&C DE250 and 3 H290s (bolt-on). I'll probably end up buying 3 of your Xovers too.

I will probably start building new exclosures next week. Mains are going in the front corners and the center will be in the wall behind the screen. I'll be mounting the horn outboard on top of the woofer cabinet.

how far should the horn be from the woofer to build a 4pi?

Also I think the 2035hpl is 1db higher sensitivity than the 2226. The JBL 3677 has a sens. of 99db. The JBL 3678 (uses 2226) is 98db. They also have a slightly higher FS so they don't go quite as low.. 48hz is about as low as I can go and get a nice response with a 3.5 cubic' box.

I know it's not much but will this be something I'll need to worry about when it comes to the Xover..and if the different sensitivity of the 2226 vs 2035 will be an issue can you tweak the crossovers (i'm assuming the tweeter attenuation) for me?
Re: Just bought some JBL 3677...? about the CD and horn [message #64236 is a reply to message #64175] Sun, 10 October 2010 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Chancellor
One more question Wayne. How do I go about getting a copy of the plans for the 4pi?
Previous Topic: NOS 1 PI's
Next Topic: 4pi
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jun 06 18:44:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout