Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Master and Commander
Master and Commander [message #5465] Thu, 04 November 2004 03:34 Go to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I can see why this one was so highly reviewed. Peter Weir, (The Mosquito Coast, Dead Poets Society, The Year of Living Dangerously) puts you on the "Surprise" in a way few movies do. The only 'sea movie cliche', the doctor's operation, has an interesting twist. You can smell the smoke and feel the recoil of the cannon.
The soundtrack is the best 5.1 I've ever heard. Use of the rear channels shows a deft touch by the engineer. Gonna watch it again tonight.

Pirates of the Caribbean [message #5466 is a reply to message #5465] Thu, 04 November 2004 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi Bill,

For some reason, that movie didn't click with me. I was kinda bored sitting through it. I'm not sure why, 'cause everyone else really dug it.

Now, "Pirates of the Caribbean," that's a movie I really liked! Did you see that one?

Re:Johnny Depp plays Keith Richards plays a pirate [message #5467 is a reply to message #5466] Thu, 04 November 2004 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Or at least one Depp interview intimated that. Very funny. Kind of a maritime "Zorro the Gay Blade"?

Re:Johnny Depp plays Keith Richards plays a pirate [message #5468 is a reply to message #5467] Thu, 04 November 2004 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
You know, that's true.

Re: Pirates - Brilliant! [message #5469 is a reply to message #5466] Fri, 05 November 2004 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
And hilarious. Depp was nothing short of amazing.

Re:Johnny Depp plays Keith Richards plays a pirate [message #5473 is a reply to message #5468] Sun, 07 November 2004 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mollecon is currently offline  mollecon
Master
I like that one a lot, too. It's amazing how Depp keeps up that drunken voice throughout the movie... I think they're making a '2'. I wanna see "Master And Commander", but haven't gotten round to it, yet.

Re: Pirates of the Caribbean [message #5476 is a reply to message #5466] Mon, 08 November 2004 18:08 Go to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I have been a fan of O'Brian's for years. When they said they were making a movie and it would star Russell Crowe I became anxious they would screw it up since in the books, Capt. Aubrey is a very tall, whip thin black haired guy. Not Crowe; thats for sure. However he really did a good job and I thought they succeeded as much as possible. The books are very technical in their description of the Royal Navy and it's operations as well as describing in minute detail exactly what each specific part of a ship of the line is and does. 10 pages on how they turn a squarerigged man-o-war is not an uncommon detail. J.R.

Previous Topic: Big Fish
Next Topic: Quintessential holiday music
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jun 05 21:35:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout