Home » xyzzy » Tower » :@:@:@
:@:@:@ [message #53865] Tue, 17 February 2004 03:47 Go to next message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)
It seems like Perth is getting hotter and hotter each year.

The temperature for toNIGHT is 28deg celcius.

I sleep with no air conditioner. Looks like I won't be sleeping tonight :P Very humid too. I hate it.

Re: :@:@:@ [message #53866 is a reply to message #53865] Tue, 17 February 2004 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
No air conditioner, Yikes! 'Bout time to get a window unit!!!

Re: :@:@:@ [message #53868 is a reply to message #53866] Tue, 17 February 2004 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I should!

Due to big demands on power today from everybody trying to keep cool, the power company has banned the use of air conditioners for today (hopefully for only today). If you use one you get fined $1000!

Re: :@:@:@ [message #53869 is a reply to message #53868] Tue, 17 February 2004 20:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Ahh, now I understand. Hopefully, the heatwave will pass soon then.

Re: :@:@:@ [message #53870 is a reply to message #53869] Tue, 17 February 2004 22:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I still don't have an air conditioner where I sleep, but there is in the other room.

So I still gotta put up with the hot nights!

Explanation for power ban [message #53872 is a reply to message #53870] Wed, 18 February 2004 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Big businesses and industrial shops, supermarkets etc were also on the power ban yesterday. Many supermarkets and butchers had to throw away lots of refriderated food as they weren't allowed to turn those freezers on either because it takes a lot of power. Losses were in the tens of millions of dollars, and now they're seeking compensation for their losses.

The ban on using all these items was imposed because the power company couldn't cope with the huge power demand especially with air conditioners on. But the opposition party of the state government (Liberal) has come out and said the reason is the Labour party (who own the power company, Wester Power) forgot to order more gas for the power station. Pretty poor if you ask me. Because of their stupidnesses, tens of millions worth of food stock was thrown away.

And Western Power threatened fines of up to $10,000 for businesses if they turned on air cons, freezers, etc. It's big talk around here now, I think it will be a while until it goes away. I don't blame 'em for wanting compensation!

Re: Explanation for power ban [message #53873 is a reply to message #53872] Wed, 18 February 2004 17:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Wow, Adrian, that's a big deal.

It's an interesting story about an interesting problem. I think I agree with you that some compensation is in order, but it sounds like the damages may be at nearly catastrophic levels that might not be realistically payable by the Labour Party and/or power company. If compensation were agreed or awarded, they may just raise taxes to compensate themselves for the compensation paid, which then puts it back on the consumer.

I'll bet that is the big topic of discussions right now, and will probably be brought up for quite some time, particularly when its time to elect new officials.

Re: Explanation for power ban [message #53877 is a reply to message #53873] Fri, 20 February 2004 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The Chief Executive and another guy in an important position in Western Power got the sack today!

They also want to fire the Energy Minister because of it. The guy lives across the other side of Australia yet he controls our state. He gets free plane rides to come over here and do business. Why cant they hire an energy minister who lives in the same state.

I wonder how many other people will get fired...

heh,im not gona vote next time [message #53901 is a reply to message #53877] Sat, 13 March 2004 19:07 Go to previous message
Mike.e is currently offline  Mike.e
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Every political party has a drawback,yet i cant see one with the right drawback and right good part to it to bother voting,i voted labour last time for 'the people' ,good for student loans etc,but then they introduce the UN puppet 'rights' bills about parents not being able to smack their kids cos its child abuse :P what utter bollocks!

we have idiots here too, OOPS we forgot to build enough power stations back in the 90s and now we have to save power every winter when its cold and the lakes run dry!

:-@

Previous Topic: Webcams across America
Next Topic: The Passion - Mel Gibson
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jun 05 08:05:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers