Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » PI mid horn
PI mid horn [message #53021] Mon, 29 December 2008 09:19 Go to next message
Zene Gillette is currently offline  Zene Gillette
Viscount
Hi guys ... I thought I'd better quit bugging Wayne and solicit help here. I have P.Audio 12" coax speakers that I think might do well in the PI mids. The EBP is over 220, Fs - 47hz. PI horns are designed for 10's with a 4 1/2" by 4 1/2" throat, a ratio of approx. 2.6:1. Using the same math for a normal 12" the throat would be 5 1/2" x 5 1/2". Here is problem; the true effective Sd (cone area) of the coaxes is about the same as a 10" due to the huge hole for the coax horn. So, do I use the existing horn throat? I'm never clear enough, so you may have to straighten me out on how to explain. I do not mock up or experiment. My first design will be finished complex wood.
Thanks, Zene

Re: PI mid horn [message #53022 is a reply to message #53021] Mon, 29 December 2008 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think the biggest difference you'll see is above 1kHz, and that's best discovered by measurement.

Re: PI mid horn [message #53023 is a reply to message #53022] Mon, 29 December 2008 18:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Thanks, Wayne. Does that mean either throat will be OK? I can always extend back to original throat if I decide to use a 10".
Zene

Re: PI mid horn [message #53024 is a reply to message #53023] Mon, 29 December 2008 20:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

There's really no way to know without assembling it and measuring. I know you would prefer to know what to expect in advance, but with a new driver in the picture, you really can't. If you want to stick with a known entity, you'll need to use one of the drivers that has already been tested.

You can use a computer simulation to model the pistonic behavior of a new speaker in that horn, and with that you will find the amplitude response at the low end of the range. But up high, there are more things that come into play. That's why it is probably most reasonable to expect to measure a new midhorn design (or an untested driver in an existing design) to know how it will behave.

Re: PI mid horn [message #53027 is a reply to message #53024] Mon, 29 December 2008 23:49 Go to previous message
Viscount
Good points, will do more research/testing. You've come thru again, thanks. Zene

Previous Topic: Efficiency Spes for the 2 Pi Tower
Next Topic: Pi Horns in a dedicated home theater
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jun 11 09:39:43 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout