Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Lord of the Rings
Lord of the Rings [message #5267] Sat, 22 May 2004 07:58 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I missed "The Return of the King" when it came out in theaters, so I'm waiting for it to be released on DVD. I understand it will be out in just a few days, on the 26th I think. So I'm planning to pick up a copy this week. Without giving a spoiler please, what did you guys think about the movie?

Re: Lord of the Rings [message #5270 is a reply to message #5267] Mon, 24 May 2004 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mollecon is currently offline  mollecon
Master
It comes out tomorrow, Wayne. Maybe I'm not the right person to ask, being an avid fan of the trilogy - I love it of course. The only problem the movie have is, that it in spite of over 3 hours (I've seen 193 minutes for the DVD) of playing time is a bit rushed here and there. That, and it takes a while to wrap up the ending - inevitable when you think of the novel.

The story is still a good one, and there are lots of great special effects and a very good sound - goes without saying. I'm buying it tomorrow, and will then be looking forward to the EE version, which should come out in the middle/by the end of November.

Re: Lord of the Rings [message #5271 is a reply to message #5270] Tue, 25 May 2004 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Thanks for the input. I had heard that from some of my other friends too, that the ending sort of went on and on. But I like stories like Lord of the Rings, so I expect I'll love "The Return of the King."

What is the EE version?

Re: Lord of the Rings [message #5273 is a reply to message #5271] Tue, 25 May 2004 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
'EE' is for 'Extended Edition'. It's the special long versions of the movies Peter Jackson (the director) have send out on DVD. Apart from quite a bit of extra footage (30-40 minutes extra on the two first EE's) there's also an improved surround sound (DTS 6.1) and 4 different tracks of commentaries (from director(s), actors and other involved) one can play with the the normal moviesound off. In the case of the two first movies, this have made it necessary to have the movies on two DVD's, instead of the theatrical versions one. Plus, there's two DVD's with extra material in the EE-editions, too. It all adds up to about 25 hours of material to look at from the 4 DVD Extended Editions.

The EE-version of "Return..." is believed to have about an hour extra on the movie itself (Probably making it necessary to have this on 3 DVD's). In many ways, these versions are for the enthusiasts - though many maintain that the more calm pace of the EE versions in many ways makes both the story and the characters work better. But the price is that they ARE very long. As far as I can estimate, when the last of the EE-editions comes out, the 3 EE's put together will last for more than 11 hours - one will be able to spend a whole day watching Lord of the Rings :-)

Re: Lord of the Rings [message #5274 is a reply to message #5273] Tue, 25 May 2004 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Gotcha. Sounds cool!

Re: Best thing since Yul Brynner went for a swim!!!!!!!! [message #5276 is a reply to message #5274] Tue, 25 May 2004 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
And Annie Lennox making like Enya on the title theme? Loved that!
In the context of epics or costumers if you will this is right there with The Ten Commandments and Ben Hur.
Howard Shore's soundtrack is absolutely brilliant and the
woomp-woomps gave the Titanic a workout. Pity anyone who has to listen with Kharmas or Revels or Eidolons and not Pi's.
Don't miss this, Wayne!

Re: Best thing since Yul Brynner went for a swim!!!!!!!! [message #5278 is a reply to message #5276] Wed, 26 May 2004 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I'll pick up a copy today. In a way, I'm glad I missed it in the theaters. Sometimes it's nice to see a really good movie first time at home. I like to go to the theater, get a couple of hot dogs and a box of popcorn. That makes it a little more of a social event - a date sort of thing - and costs about a zillion dollars too. Still, I like to go out to movies and I do that pretty often. But to really watch a movie, and to crank up the sound and get into it, it's fun to watch at home. So this will be great!

NEW COPIES FOR TWELVE BUCKS [message #5281 is a reply to message #5276] Thu, 27 May 2004 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I got a copy of Lord of the Rings - Return of the King on DVD last night but I was too tired to watch it. Maybe this weekend.

But check this out:

I got a new copy of the Return of the King DVD at Blockbuster for just $12.00!

Here's the deal: They sell selected new DVD movies for $12.00 if you bring in an old DVD to trade. Any DVD will do. They change their selections every week, but this week Return of the King is on the list. They tell me the list always includes new releases. Next week it will be different ones.

Guess which movie I traded. No fair clicking on it and peeking before you guess first.

Re: Best thing since Yul Brynner went for a swim!!!!!!!! [message #5282 is a reply to message #5278] Tue, 01 June 2004 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
My guess was "Sound of Music"! :-)) Wayne, are you gonna watch "Return of the King" without having seen the two previous ones first? Cos if you do, it'll be really confusing - it's bad enough as it is for people not familiar with the novel.

Re: Best thing since Yul Brynner went for a swim!!!!!!!! [message #5283 is a reply to message #5282] Tue, 01 June 2004 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Oh, no, I've already seen the first two. I saw them in theaters and then later picked up a copy of each of them on DVD. I love the Lord of the Rings and stories like it. But I missed the initial release of "Return of the King" and haven't seen it yet. I'll be sure to watch it in a day or three.

Previous Topic: Frida
Next Topic: Heard on the street
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jun 06 11:12:13 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout