Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » What a strange 24 hours! Come ramble with me.
What a strange 24 hours! Come ramble with me. [message #52529] Sun, 24 August 2008 17:50 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Cooling down after almost a full day in the sun with one fully veneered speaker to show for it. Just don't have the strength I once did.

Yesterday I couldn't make it to work, actually I did get there then sat in my truck on the phone with my boss while I waited to feel well enough to drive back home. These episodes that I blame on withdrawal from a psychotropic, Effexor, (Wyeth labs and my former doctor should burn in hell) are suddenly becoming more frequent and severe even after 6 weeks off the stuff and now I'm thinking that the damned pills damaged me neurologically. Welll ,as Eye-gor said in Young Frankenstein, "could be worse,...could be raining..."

Feeling better last night but bored I actually got out the Hi-Fi News test record which I had tried once and tucked away a few years ago. Couldn't quite get the image centered on several recordings and thought it worth a go. The phase test made sense to me this time and I confirmed that the new crossover phase was correct. The pink noise at the beginning, middel and end of side one to check tracking distortion is essentially worthless cause I don't know what it's supposed to sound like.

I did, however, manage to zero in the image by moving the left speaker an inch or so. Go figure. I've moved the speakers all over this zip code in the past and couldn't get this result until last night. This is BIG NEWS 'cause I had shelved the ARC pre-amp and built the passive thinking the ARC had an imbalance and I bought the Classe amp thinking the 45 was similarly afflicted; haven't felt much like listening to anything lately and turned to building the Pro 4s as a palliative.

It was actually the anti-skating test that turned the trick as to which speaker to move; The Sonata couldn't track the second test track w/o the right channel buzzing, meaning I needed more anti-skate. When I increased it enough for the stylus to sail through it
and both channels failed the third test track, I knew anti-skate was eliminated as a possible cause of the channel imbalance. Skeezix!

The resonant frequency test is great fun except that I had to uncomfortably 1/2 squat (don't you just hate half-squats?) to see the stylus finally dance at 13 Hz. I know thats a smidge above optimum but nobodys perfect. Actuaslly, there was some warbling well above 13 Hz but the stylus didn't cut loose and dance until 13. I wonder if that warbling is a contributor to the lovely mid-range of the Sonata? Distortion works for SETs, don't it?

Back on the shelf went the test record and on the table went an OJC copy of

Re: What a strange 24 hours! Come ramble with me. [message #52532 is a reply to message #52529] Sun, 24 August 2008 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Man, I'm with you Bill. I love doing what it takes to make things just right. But setting up everything is such a time consuming chore! So basically, I find what I really like is just having it done. I'm getting older, and all the time it takes to get the stuff modeled, measured and ready to go is a long road to travel. But once it's right, ahh, it makes it all worthwhile.

Re: What a strange 24 hours! Come ramble with me. [message #52537 is a reply to message #52529] Tue, 26 August 2008 02:24 Go to previous message
RC Daniel is currently offline  RC Daniel
Chancellor
Hi Bill

I hope you have discussed your withdrawal from Effexor with a decent physician and are stepping down your dosage over a period of weeks or more. If not, you may be experiencing a type of withdrawal rebound; it usually takes a little time for your nervous system adapt back to the non-medicated state.

Not sure if your doc has discussed this with you, but I will try to give a very brief lay-person run down for you... it has been a while for me. Neurotransmitters are chemicals that transfer a nerve signal from one nerve to another: from the synaptic end bulb (sender) - across the synaptic cleft - to receptors in the receiving nerve, which then triggers a response in the receiving nerve. The neurotransmitters are removed from the cleft by a range of mechanisms, one being uptake back into the end bulb of the sending nerve. Effexor inhibits this uptake, thereby (at least in the short term) increasing the amount of transmitter in the cleft and increasing the transmitters available to bind receptors in the receiving nerve. This causes increased stimulation of the receiving nerve, compared to a non-medicated state. There is MUCH more to this, but I am trying to keep it simple (makes it easier for me!) and I don’t have my reference texts close by!

Thing is, your synapses have regulated themselves to manage the increased serotonin and noradrenaline at their gap and may take a little time to regulate back to the lower amounts of these transmitters in the gap. That is, your nerves have gotten used to having higher levels of neurotransmitter available; now they need to get used to more 'normal' amounts. It takes time. Hang in there. Find an understanding and helpful doc.

Hope this helps in some small way. It shouldn't - your doc should have explained it to you already, tho likely did not.

Cheers
Raymond

Previous Topic: 4pi port question
Next Topic: 2- PI
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jun 18 06:56:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers