Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » minor mid-horn mods
minor mid-horn mods [message #52356] Sun, 20 July 2008 14:30 Go to next message
Chris R. is currently offline  Chris R.
Viscount
Wayne,
I'm close to making up a pair of mid horns, but have a small problem. I need to finished width to be 24", including the outer
box they'll go in. I was reviewing the dimentions from your post 14408 and if I cut both sides and top/bottom to be 4.5" at the
small end, and butt joint them, the horn entrance won't be 4.5" square because of material thickness. In any case, if I need to
narrow the width slightly (~1.5"-2"), should the sides be angled
in to maintain horn length, or just shorten the whole thing a little?
Thx, Chris

Re: minor mid-horn mods [message #52360 is a reply to message #52356] Sun, 20 July 2008 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You can scale it down a bit but please remember that an undersized horn becomes peaky. So scale it back as little as possible because even though the horn is physically large, it is acoustically small. I would be sure to extend the mouth right to the edge of the cabinet to get as much mouth area as possible.

Re: minor mid-horn mods [message #52363 is a reply to message #52360] Mon, 21 July 2008 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris R. is currently offline  Chris R.
Viscount
Sorry to bug you again about this, but its OK ot scale in which direction? Plain width with no geometry changes, which translates to
shorter depth, or horizontal angle.
Thx, Chris

Re: minor mid-horn mods [message #52364 is a reply to message #52363] Mon, 21 July 2008 14:26 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Well, any direction you go will change things. No truncation results in the same results.

Previous Topic: Thanks, Wayne!
Next Topic: Lower tweeter placement in 7Pi
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jun 06 03:48:08 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout