Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 3Pi Sensitivity
3Pi Sensitivity [message #51836] Thu, 21 February 2008 00:27 Go to next message
Champion is currently offline  Champion
Baron
Please excuse me for my ignorance - how can the 3Pi speaker achieve 98dB sensitivity when the Delta12LF woofer sensitivity is only around 95dB? Does it have to do with the cabinet design?

On a different topic - what is the best way to paint the MDF cabinet? Using roller or a brush? And do I need to sand the whole box first before painting?

Thanks.

Re: 3Pi Sensitivity [message #51841 is a reply to message #51836] Thu, 21 February 2008 11:49 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The three π loudspeaker is rated for quarter-space because that is how it is designed to be used. However, the raw Delta 12LF driver was rated in half-space and there is 3dB difference in the two.

The one π, two π, two π tower, three π, four π and eight π loudspeakers are rated for quarter-space.

The five π, six π and seven π loudspeakers are rated for eighth-space.

The 12π hornsub is rated for half-space.

These radiating angles were chosen because that is the way each of these speakers was designed to be used. Of course, the 12π hornsub will usually be used in pairs or groups. That increased output by 3dB for each doubling of cabinets, if total electrical power remains the same. When voltage remains constant, there is 6dB increase when the number of cabinets is doubled. If placed against a wall, add 3dB. In a corner, add 6dB.

Previous Topic: Sale Pending; Seven Pi Professional Sevens JBL in Cherry
Next Topic: 12Pi v2
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 23 06:57:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout