Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Placement
Placement [message #51633] Wed, 19 December 2007 01:53 Go to next message
Zene Gillette is currently offline  Zene Gillette
Viscount
Wayne ... Just starting the Pro 7's. I have two rooms to choose for them. One has corners on 13' wall, but listening distance is limited to max of 10' from speaker. Other room is 12' wide but can't use corners (damn doors) and the 7's would have to go along side walls from 2' to 6' from back wall, only. Good thing is I would have up to 18' to listening position. I always thought a longer distance was better for horns. BTW the rest of speakers are horns. These rooms are adjacent and total volume (+ open kitchen and hallway) is 7000 cu ft.
Zene

Re: Placement [message #51634 is a reply to message #51633] Wed, 19 December 2007 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'd rather have them along the 13 foot wall. The best listening positions will be towards the opposite wall but the whole room will sound good.

Re: Placement [message #51637 is a reply to message #51634] Wed, 19 December 2007 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Wayne ... That's good news I would have had to swap my entire HT setup for the stereo otherwise. Zene

Re: Placement followup [message #51638 is a reply to message #51633] Wed, 19 December 2007 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount

I think that gives me room for a 12PI sub. Would you send plans so I can check? I'll wait for the new ones as I won't be building right away.
Zene

You've got mail! [message #51639 is a reply to message #51638] Wed, 19 December 2007 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'll send plans for the v1 model, which is the same size as the v2 model. Remind me around the first of the month and I'll send you the v2 plans. It's a little bit simpler build and has smoother response than v1, more like the original model and the prototype than the first production model was.

Most everything is the same except the motor chamber layout. The new version is a little easier to build because it doesn't need the fill, and the chamber sizes are nearly ideal. But other than that, they are very similar horns.

Be aware that the 12π hornsub is very large and powerful. It is overkill for all but the largest rooms, theaters and outdoor use. I designed it to provide very high fidelity at high power levels, the kind of thing needed for outdoor concerts and the like. So it is probably a lot bigger than you need.

Re: You've got mail! [message #51640 is a reply to message #51639] Wed, 19 December 2007 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Wayne ... Then can I ASSume that by not using the 12PI my original idea to use Pro 7's is the best way for reasonable deep bass with authority? If I must relinquish corners for side wall placement, will I loose much in low frequency and quality? Would you be kind enough to explain different placements for them? A 70hz cutoff gives me almost 8' distance to UB to play with. Thinking of two side by side against rear wall. Only have 6' width there between doors, but would be within 3' of corners.
Zene

Re: You've got mail! [message #51641 is a reply to message #51640] Wed, 19 December 2007 20:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

In most home listening rooms, I would prefer seven π cornerhorns. If corners aren't available, then go with four π speakers instead. In either case, you can augment the bottom octave with dedicated three π or four π subwoofers, if desired.

Pro seven π cornerhorns are tuned to be slightly overdamped, which makes a good conjugate for corner loading. Pro four π speakers are too, for that matter. They work well in small to medium sized rooms, and don't become boomy when placed near boundaries. They are designed to work best with boundary reinforcement. You'll get good response to 40Hz with a 2226 in these designs, even without a sub. And they aren't terribly large, so they don't "take over" the room.

Very large rooms have different requirements than small to medium size rooms. You won't pressurize the room and get "cabin gain" in a large room or outdoor space, so tuning is a bit different. And you expect to push the speakers much harder, so you want to optimize performance at high drive levels. For example, it is easy to generate over 100dB in a medium size room with very little distortion from a good quality direct radiating woofer. One hundred feet away from the stage at an outdoor concert is a little different. That's where the advantages of a large push-pull basshorn become apparent.

Re: You've got mail! [message #51642 is a reply to message #51641] Thu, 20 December 2007 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
When you're right, you're right. Sure glad you are here. Will you send Pro4 plans?
Zene

You've got more mail! [message #51643 is a reply to message #51642] Thu, 20 December 2007 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Pro 4 [message #51644 is a reply to message #51643] Fri, 21 December 2007 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Viscount
Wayne ... thx for Pro 4 plans. If I use as separate woofer boxes I need to compensate for horns. Can I have the exact net volume you use? That way I can add my bracing to get internal volume dead on. I tend to get a little crazy on strength. I don't think the box Q change will effect porting, but not sure. Should I use an adjustable port?
Speaker displacement also, if you have?
Zene

Previous Topic: Comments on this elementary crossover essay?
Next Topic: Tweakin' agin
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jun 11 10:46:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout