Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Baffle step compensation
Baffle step compensation [message #50823] Wed, 14 March 2007 05:20 Go to next message
dB is currently offline  dB
Master
Hi Wayne,
What is baffle step compensation?
I know there are rectifications to do in the front side of a speaker (and xover), but I don't know if the problem exists more in the bass or any other frequency. I know there are adjustments in the 2K & 3K area also, because I saw some measuring in other webpages years ago. Is this discrepancy of a limited (dB) value and how can we take that in mind and how to address it in designing the speaker?
Can you report to a post (of your one if there are some) on that, if you know any?
Best Regards

Ps. We are going to have our little party here in Portugal too.

Re: Baffle step compensation [message #50825 is a reply to message #50823] Wed, 14 March 2007 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

When a loudspeaker is mounted on a baffle, it radiates into halfspace as a result of that baffle. It is not radiating omnidirectionally; It is constrained to half space by the baffle. But at lower frequencies, the baffle is too small to constrain the radiating angle. Sound waves curve around the baffle, and radiate omnidirectionally. As a result, the DI of the loudspeaker changes. Above the frequency where this occurs, DI is higher and therefore SPL is higher too, assuming power response is flat. Without baffle step compensation, power response is usually flat, so SPL is lower below the frequency where DI increases as a result of the baffle. Baffle step compensation increases bass output relative to midrange output, usually by attenuating mids and higher frequencies. The idea is to modify power response to compensate for the directivity increase caused by the baffle.

Re: Baffle step compensation. Thanks. [message #50826 is a reply to message #50825] Wed, 14 March 2007 13:21 Go to previous message
dB is currently offline  dB
Master
Very much appreciated Wayne, Thanks.

I guess I can say, for small problems there are always small (easy) solutions. Alike to speakers in open air arenas vs speakers for small room spaces (there is more bass inside, I guess).

Previous Topic: lab12
Next Topic: Pi 4 Stage Series plans, and a few questions?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 09 10:37:40 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio