Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi 4 questions
Pi 4 questions [message #50081] Mon, 25 September 2006 08:34 Go to next message
jimbop is currently offline  jimbop
Viscount
I've asked this before, but seem to have lost the bookmarks to the info.

I am running Wright Sound 2A3 amps. Which of the Pi 4 speakers would you recommend? I don't think I can afford the Pro series.

Also, I remember reading about using the 7 Series mid horn and tweeter with the 4 Series bass cabinets. What are the benefits (besides eliminating the need for suitable corners in the room).

Does this affect the efficiency of the speakers?

Jim D.

Re: Pi 4 questions [message #50082 is a reply to message #50081] Mon, 25 September 2006 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The Theater and Professional Series four π loudspeakers are an easy load, both in terms of impedance and efficiency. The Stage four π has the efficiency, but the impedance fluxuates a little more. However, if you add the midhorn, it tends to smooth the impedance curve. It also provides directivity and smoother midrange.

Re: Pi 4 questions [message #50084 is a reply to message #50082] Mon, 25 September 2006 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Which of these would work best close to the front wall, and a few feet in from the corners? They don't necessarily need to be right against the wall, but due to their size, they won't be too far out into the room.

Jim

Re: Pi 4 questions [message #50085 is a reply to message #50084] Mon, 25 September 2006 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Both the Theater Series and Professional Series four π loudspeakers work well with boundary loading, as happens when placed near walls or corners. They're designed for use in quarter or eighth-space. The Stage Series four π works better with a little less boundary influence, and works best in half-space.

Re: Pi 4 questions [message #50089 is a reply to message #50085] Tue, 26 September 2006 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
So, would I order a 7 Pi kit and plans for the 4 Pi bass cabinet? Are there any other changes needed to do this?

Jim

Re: Pi 4 questions - adding midhorn [message #50092 is a reply to message #50089] Tue, 26 September 2006 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's exactly what you do. Use the four π cabinet as the bass bin and run the midhorn and tweeter from the seven π. The crossover from bass bin to midrange is at low frequency, so summing is good as long as the front-to-back spacing between midhorn and woofer is within a couple feet. Spacing between midhorn and tweeter should be exactly as shown in the seven π plans.

Re: Pi 4 questions - Do you have any photos? [message #50105 is a reply to message #50092] Fri, 29 September 2006 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Are there any photos of of the 4 - 7 combo? I'd like to see the scale of this implementation.

JD

Re: Pi 4 with midhorn [message #50108 is a reply to message #50105] Fri, 29 September 2006 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Using the midhorn with a four π is an upgrade that makes sense, but I don't have any photos. It's kind of a hybrid.

Re: Pi 4 with midhorn [message #50109 is a reply to message #50108] Sun, 01 October 2006 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul C. is currently offline  Paul C.
Master
Wayne, as you know, I am building the 7pi-18 for my older son, and 4pi Theatre for myself.

Adding the 7pi mid horn later is intriguing. Would it hurt for me to build the 4pi Theatre box, but not make a cutout for the H290 horn, instead sitting that on top? Then later just jack that up and slip the mid in between.

Or would you suggest just building the 4pi Theatre as per plans, with the horn in the box, and just stick the mid on top?

Re: Pi 4 with midhorn [message #50110 is a reply to message #50109] Sun, 01 October 2006 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Either way is fine - You can install the tweeter in the four π and later install the midhorn on top or you can mount the tweeter externally and move the midwoofer up to keep the distance, orientation and position relationship between them the same. Either way, it is important to keep the tweeter to mid (or midwoofer) relationship as shown in the plans.

Previous Topic: Wayne - What are the fundemental differences between ....
Next Topic: multiple driver manifold for horn loading...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jun 18 07:32:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio