Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » the begin
Re: Sweet! [message #49000 is a reply to message #48998] Fri, 03 March 2006 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dB is currently offline  dB
Master
In my white speaker image you can find for the bass a 12" HH Acoustics DC100LW, 2” voice coil and magnesium alloy chassis, 100W Fs=60Hz 99dBSPL (50-13000Hz Wide Range P.A., Monitor, Disco). This bass horn is a modified two side exponential horn with a mouth diameter (equivalent circle) of 22"(55.5cm) or 26.4"(67cm) x 14.2"(36cm)square. Mid is a compression driver Beyma AL-CP40, 1.75” voice coil, 60W 108dBSPL (800-7000Hz). HF compression tweeter is a Beyma CP10 w/mylar diaphragm and aluminium voice coil support, 10W 105dBSPL (5000-20000Hz). X-over is a from same factory of the shelf not tested but taken for good one day will see high power good components crossover.

On the Disco speaker images you can notice two JBL 2405H Ultra-highs (or similar) on the right of the speaker and a super-duper acoustical lens (slant-plate type) spread on top. Besides the 4 mains there are 2 more subs. But I didn’t find an increase in quality output when they bought them. I don’t know the factors or specs for all the set-up.
Regards

Re: Pro Drivers-instrument speakers - Sensitivity [message #49014 is a reply to message #48992] Sun, 05 March 2006 10:04 Go to previous message
Crazy Dave is currently offline  Crazy Dave
Viscount
It does seem like 93-95db is the turning point and they seem to sound better, even when they are not playing that loud. I think dynamic compression is part of it. Inefficent systems with big amps can sound very good but they always sound like they a working for it. A HE system can sound effortless.

Another reason why both pro and vintage systems can sound so good is they generally don't make the amplifier juump through so manny hoops. Impedance doesm't drop real low and some have low zmax. I am currently using 8-ohm JBL Lancer 77's and getting quite good sound through a Yamaha M-4 120 watt amp.

I haven't forgotten PiSpeakers and now have access to some very inexpensive JBL drivers. I'll keep you posted!

Dave

Previous Topic: Wayne
Next Topic: Superlux ECM-999 or Behringer ECM-8000 for Measurement
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jun 06 18:49:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers