Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Question About MDF and Humidity...
Question About MDF and Humidity... [message #47978] Fri, 14 October 2005 03:46 Go to next message
ArthurPrince is currently offline  ArthurPrince
Esquire

I plan on building a pair of 2 Pi Towers out of MDF. My main concern is what I have read about MDF and it being succeptable to humidity. I will be painting the exterior with several coats of primer and a top coat, finished with a gloss coat. I am wondering if putting a couple coats of primer on the inside walls of the speakers might help make them less affected by humidity? The idea being that the paint and primer would seal the MDF from surrounding conditions. Would this work or would it make little difference? Also, would primering the inside walls have any effect on sound? Thanks for any input.

Re: Question About MDF and Humidity... [message #47980 is a reply to message #47978] Fri, 14 October 2005 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

MDF is usually OK if it isn't exposed to liquid water. It may swell a very slight amount in high humidity, but it won't become weak. But if you put a veneer on it, the slight swelling is sometimes just enough to see a ridge forming under the veneer at the seam of butt joints after a period of time. This can be solved using mitered joints so that the only seam is at the corner.

Re: MDF is a sponge [message #47985 is a reply to message #47978] Fri, 14 October 2005 22:17 Go to previous message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

If you have not built your cabinets yet: Please consider building from plywood. MDF will change over the course of time. Sealing the inside would be a big plus since a port in the cabinet will always allow outside air to circulate. Home Depot and other home centers often have imported plywood in Birch at prices not much more than MDF. Baltic is good plywood but no need for the expense if you dont want. I used a lot of MDF in the past and have decided I made a poor choice. Think about your efforts and how long you want your projects to last.

Previous Topic: pi7 midhorn reflections.
Next Topic: * 12 Pi ? *
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jun 07 16:41:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout