Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » pi 2 new tweeter upgrade help
pi 2 new tweeter upgrade help [message #46955] Tue, 24 May 2005 17:24 Go to next message
ImTweaked is currently offline  ImTweaked
Esquire
when I remove the old tweeter what goes away with it? I see 2 parallel resistor that appearts to be the candidade
I think the coil has to do with the 10 inch woofer-
TIA

Re: pi 2 new tweeter upgrade help [message #46956 is a reply to message #46955] Wed, 25 May 2005 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The current model one π, two π and two π tower have a 10uF series capacitor and a 16 ohm resistor in parallel, right across the tweeter. The DX25 upgrade kit comes with a tweeter, a 10uF capacitor, a 16 ohm resistor and a pair of 0.110" spade lugs. Replace the existing 0.205" spade lugs with the new ones in the kit, and solder the 16 ohm resistor into the spade lugs along with the wires. Cut the silver colored wire on the tweeter line and splice in the 10uF capacitor. There should be no other components on the tweeter circuit. Leave the woofer line as it is.

Follow up questions (help Wayne -anyone?) [message #46957 is a reply to message #46955] Wed, 25 May 2005 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
I noticed that on one side of my speaker there is a parallel pair of resistors (looks to be red-red-black-gold). This is the parallel resitors mentioned in above post.This resistors pair is wired from the woofer +ve to the negative. Is this correct? I am missing these resistors on the other speaker.
which is correct?

Basically I do not have a schematic of pi2 crossover with me and noticed the difference while changing to the new Vifa tweeter
TIA

Re: Follow up questions (help Wayne -anyone?) [message #46958 is a reply to message #46957] Wed, 25 May 2005 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

There were never any one π, two π or two π tower kits or completed loudspeakers shipped with resistors installed internally on the woofer line.

Some people put 20 ohm resistors across speakers with piezos, so maybe someone decided to install yours internally. If so, remove them.

Current models use a 0.5mH series coil in the woofer circuit, but older models don't have one. You can identify the driver by the label; Silver labels are the new ones. Models with silver label drivers have the coil, older ones don't.

Thanks for the support and Clarification! [message #46959 is a reply to message #46956] Wed, 25 May 2005 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
I will share my findings of the new Vifa when I get a chance
Thanks

Re: Thanks for the support and Clarification! [message #46960 is a reply to message #46959] Wed, 25 May 2005 08:51 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Thanks, Tony, I think you'll like them.

Previous Topic: OK Till E
Next Topic: Speaker recommendations
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jun 05 08:37:23 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio