Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi Theatre 4?
Pi Theatre 4? [message #46277] Wed, 09 February 2005 15:11 Go to next message
Lebob is currently offline  Lebob
Chancellor
Will the Eminence Deltalite 15" work well in a Pi Theatre 4?

I am thinking of combining a Pi 4 with maybe the Deltalite 15 and an Altec 811b/806a. I already have the Altec 811b/806a horns.

Thanks

Re: Pi Theatre 4? [message #46279 is a reply to message #46277] Wed, 09 February 2005 17:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
It's a Direct drop in!

even models nearly identical. note the higher zmax if you have a tiny tube amp (not real high, but some amps are picky here). Phase plug seems to tame the peak too. I want to try this driver.

Thomas

Re: Pi Theatre 4? [message #46280 is a reply to message #46279] Wed, 09 February 2005 18:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor

I could not get the Pi website software to work on my computer. The price list says the Pi Theatre 4 goes to down to 25hz. How many decibels down is the 25hz measurement? Subjectively what is the bass response like?

Could the bass response be better or as good as my 1950's vintage 15" coaxial drivers loaded in bass-reflex cabinets? Except for Altec horns and high frequency drivers, my goal is to move away from vintage drivers and gain the toughness and reliability of modern pro drivers.

If I would like to build the Theatre 4's with my own drivers, do I need to buy the plans? Can I get just the plans?

Could I use a simple 1st or second order crossover around 800-1k hz to combine the Pi Theatre 4 with Altec horns? Does the woofer and box alignment depend on the crossover? I looked for answers to these questions in the forums but did find answers I could understand clearly.

Thanks

Re: Pi Theatre 4 plans [message #46281 is a reply to message #46280] Wed, 09 February 2005 19:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

If you'll tell me your E-Mail address, I'll send you the plans. The Theater Series four π has f10 at 25Hz. In room, you'll have some room lift that may bring it up some, particularly if they're placed within a few feet of room corners. I've done a lot of work on the crossover, so I'd suggest you try it first. I don't like first-order crossovers for systems like this. They're fine for dome tweeters and the like, but I just don't like them for 1" exit compression drivers.

Re: Pi Theatre 4 plans [message #46282 is a reply to message #46281] Wed, 09 February 2005 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor

bulldadabob@earthlink.net

Thanks

You've got mail! [message #46283 is a reply to message #46282] Wed, 09 February 2005 20:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Re: Pi Theatre 4? [message #46284 is a reply to message #46280] Thu, 10 February 2005 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
I think you can accomplish your goal with these. I have been very happy with the T4 and it really does fit well with typical room response. The back of the room does get down to 25 quite nicely, and I can depend on 30 most places. 35 and up is SOLID anywhere in the room(new RTA to play with). You do not have to buy a "kit", Wayne will be happy to sell you drivers or whatever, and the prices are quite good. I hope you try the crossover. I tweaked around with the crossover and horns a lot, but I ended up going back to the Pi as designed. I do think the Altec horns you have will match nicely though. Crossovers are available at various frequencies.
Thomas

Re: Pi Theatre 4? [message #46285 is a reply to message #46284] Thu, 10 February 2005 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor

Thanks for the information. I am going to give the Pi Theatre 4's a try.

Re: Pi Theatre 4 plans [message #46310 is a reply to message #46281] Sun, 13 February 2005 19:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rick is currently offline  rick
Baron
Wayne:

The delta-lite 15 is a direct drop in for the delta-15 woofer, yes? Whould there be any significant difference with low frequency responce, distortion, or even mid-range characteristics that would make the expence a viable option to the curious minded. Also while I'm jabberin here, I've wondered about bi-amping the theater 4. I've noodled around some past posts and understand the compensation circuit for the compression horn needs to stay either between the electronic crossover and horn or built into the electronic crossover. But does the woofer's large resistor between its terminals need also be intact for proper implementation of the electronic crossover? Same crossover frequency or can that be tinkered with, lower say, what with a steeper 24db slope? Thank you always for doing what you do.
Rick

Re: Pi Theatre 4 plans [message #46311 is a reply to message #46310] Sun, 13 February 2005 20:04 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The Deltalite speakers are direct replacements in most situations. The electro-mechanical specs are similar, so pistonic behavior is pretty close. What that means is you can expect them to act about the same for the first decade or so. Above that, differences in the cone make high frequency behavior somewhat different. I haven't investigated the Deltalite 2515 specifically, but I can tell you that the Deltalite 2510 is pretty close to the Delta 10, except for having less breakup mode energy up high. From Eminence's published data, I expect the 2515 is a good replacement for the Delta 15, and that it will work pretty well in a Theater four π loudspeaker. But I haven't tried one, so if you do, please let us know how it sounds.

Previous Topic: Is it my imagination that the Stage 4 Pis lack midrange?
Next Topic: Just want to say Thanks Wayne!!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jun 06 08:55:50 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio