Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi Seven vs Pi Seven-18 Heighth
Pi Seven vs Pi Seven-18 Heighth [message #46039] Sun, 19 December 2004 08:41 Go to next message
Tobias is currently offline  Tobias
Chancellor
I'm considering the Professional Pi Seven or Seven-18 with all JBL drivers. I'm attracted to the Seven-18s for their greater bass reach and sensitivity, but have some concerns over the heighth of the Seven-18 vs the standard Seven. The Seven-18's bass module is nearly a foot taller at 46" placing the mid horn and tweeter horn well above ear level of a person seated 14' away. I have never owned horns, so my preconception is that the Seven-18 may present less upper mid and treble information when I am seated. I would like to know if my concerns are valid or not. Thanks Tom.

Re: Pi Seven vs Pi Seven-18 Heighth [message #46040 is a reply to message #46039] Sun, 19 December 2004 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grant Marshall is currently offline  Grant Marshall
Chancellor

Hi Tom.

You aren't likely to notice much difference in mids/ highs because of the one foot height difference.

The smaller cabinets might actually fit your room better. Take a few minutes and measure out the size of these babies in the corner and mark with tape to get a better idea of size.

The JBL's are a nice option. If your room is 14 by 12 sensitivity isn't a concern. Any of these options give you more than you will use.

Grant.

Re: Pi Seven vs Pi Seven-18 Heighth [message #46041 is a reply to message #46040] Sun, 19 December 2004 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tobias is currently offline  Tobias
Chancellor
Grant, my room is 16' wide by 20' long, with a shelved 9' ceiling. Either model is orders of magnitude more efficient than my current speakers. I currently run Parasound JC-1 monoblocks @400 wpc, although down the road I might want to switch to tubes. The additional 10hz of bass reach would be nice, although the Seven's more manageable cabinet size is appealing. Your idea of outlining the footprint of each model is a good one. Tom

Should be sweet !!! [message #46043 is a reply to message #46041] Sun, 19 December 2004 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GrantMarshall is currently offline  GrantMarshall
Viscount

Gonna love 'em.

Re: Pi Seven vs Pi Seven-18 Heighth [message #46045 is a reply to message #46039] Sun, 19 December 2004 11:25 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The vertical dispersion is 40o. So you can extend lines from the horn at 20o angles to find where the pattern is. You'd be surprized how much coverage it provides. Every 33 inches away from the horn, the pattern widens vertically two feet, one foot up and one foot down.

Previous Topic: Cerwin Vega D6 Cabinets
Next Topic: Thanks Wayne
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 02 00:58:47 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout