Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » downscaling midhorn
downscaling midhorn [message #45964] Tue, 07 December 2004 04:42 Go to next message
andreas paulsen is currently offline  andreas paulsen
Baron
Hi

Would it be possible to downscale the midhorn to an 8", i have a pair of suitable drivers (focal axiom 8) -- somewhat similar to jbl 2118.
I see bill martinelli has used a pair of eminence 6" in a midhorn.

the tentative plan is to use them with a pair of Pi-7 (with jbl 2245 18")

Any tricks to this?

Cheers
Andreas

Re: downscaling midhorn [message #45965 is a reply to message #45964] Tue, 07 December 2004 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

An 8" midhorn would work pretty well, I imagine. You might scale the horn I've done by 20% and give that a try. Or you could go with a more square aspect ratio like Bill Martinelli and Adrian Mack did on their horns for the Eminence Alpha 6.

Since your plan is to use these with seven π-18's, I'd stick with the 90x40 aspect ratio. I think that's the best pattern for use with cornerhorns. I'd probably keep the mouth area the same, and simply extend the horn back to where it makes a 4" x 4" throat. That will look nice, making the midhorn width equal to the width of the bass bin. And I expect a horn of those dimensions will have very nice response too.

Re: downscaling midhorn [message #45968 is a reply to message #45964] Wed, 08 December 2004 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grant Marshall is currently offline  Grant Marshall
Chancellor

Hi Andreas.

I used a 6 1/2 inch driver in the mid-horn and I'm satisfied with the results. I followed Waynes advice about keeping the mouth about the same size, the lengths close to the same as Waynes design and proportioning the entrance at the throat to the smaller speaker. I suspect too large an opening leaves the driver incapable of going as low as the horn allows it and it will flap around causing distortion. I suspect too small an opening would restrict sound. I'm sure I'll find out if I'm right ;-).

From what I've read the length of the horn and size of the mouth have a lot to do with the frequencies the horn is capable of producing. A shorter horn, or smaller mouth would be suitable for higher frequencies. Longer horn, larger mouth, lower frequencies.

Grant.

Re: downscaling midhorn [message #45969 is a reply to message #45964] Wed, 08 December 2004 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grant Marshall is currently offline  Grant Marshall
Chancellor

I almost forgot.

Not every driver is suited to horn use. I'm not sure what all the characteristics are, but a rising SPL level on a graph is an example of a "horn friendly" characteristic. I used a PHL driver which PHL suggests for possible horn use.

Dr. Edgar played with a lot of drivers years ago to find the best to use. I'm sure Wayne chose his drivers for specific characteristics as well which the Focal's may or may not satisfy.

Grant.

Re: downscaling midhorn [message #45971 is a reply to message #45969] Wed, 08 December 2004 12:08 Go to previous message
andreas paulsen is currently offline  andreas paulsen
Baron
The focal axiom 8 i have is - I think - electromechanically close to the 2123 10" jbl driver. it has a massive magnet structure - small Xmax - small magnet gap and an fs of around 100Hz. However I do not have the full TS parameters - I should measure them some day.

Thanks for your comments

Cheers
andreas

Previous Topic: Speaker building news
Next Topic: Changed amps on my 4 Pi Premium's
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 02 02:05:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio