Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » P.audio driver.
P.audio driver. [message #44640] Wed, 19 May 2004 17:13 Go to next message
Castlesteve is currently offline  Castlesteve
Chancellor
I`m still pursuing my high efficiency speaker goal and have just picked up a pair of P.audio drivers and horns to mate up with my 12 inch woofers.http://www.paudio-europe.com/products/db_product_2_5_pa-d34.htm http://www.paudiosystem.com/products/db_product_6_14_ph-240.htm . Will i be able to cross these over at around 1k to the woofer and then run them out to 20k or so or should i cross them lower and use a supertweeter. I`m just learning crossovers so i`m trying to keep it simple so far.
The Richard Allan woofers are old but respected units but difficult to get T/S specs. I found a post with these specs:http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=af0104fbd661f87cdc26a6946fa784b5&threadid=33249&highlight= it`s the CG12 woofer.
Thanks, Steve.

Re: P.audio driver. [message #44642 is a reply to message #44640] Wed, 19 May 2004 18:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I've never used those drivers, but from the published data, it looks like a fine canidate for a two-way loudspeaker.

Re: P.audio driver. [message #44643 is a reply to message #44642] Wed, 19 May 2004 19:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Castlesteve is currently offline  Castlesteve
Chancellor
Thanks Wayne.
What do you think would be the lowest frequency at which i could cross over from the woofer and what crossover would you recommend? Sorry for all the questions but i`m somewhat of a beginner.
Steve.

Re: P.audio driver. [message #44644 is a reply to message #44643] Thu, 20 May 2004 00:23 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Generally, I don't like crossing over HF horns with 1" exit compression drivers below 1kHz. This is largely because the horns and drivers I've chosen are not intended for use below 800Hz. Yours might be fine at 600Hz or 800Hz, but my experience has been that modern 1" compression drivers and horns are designed for best performance above 1kHz.

I've been using crossovers between 1kHz and 1.6kHz for quite some time with 1" exit compression drivers. I like second-order and third-order slopes and using passive compensation for the top octave. I use a fairly simple circuit that provides specific damping, level matching and top-octave augmentation. It works best with second and third-order crossovers. This kind of crossover also limits low frequency energies presented to the compression driver, which greatly increases their power handling and therefore their dynamic range.

If you're making a two-way system with a relatively large 12" or 15" midwoofer, this crossover frequency range coincides with the range where midwoofer directivity narrows to about 90o. That roughly matches the horizontal dispersion of a 90o x 40o horn, which is what I tend to prefer for systems like this. It's a design approach that just seems to "fit" nicely.

The advantages of a two-way system like this are that it is simple and has few crossover points. Crossover is relatively high, just above the vocal fundamentals, leaving the majority of the voice range covered by the midwoofer. Dynamic range is generally pretty good provided all of the drivers are quality parts. The compression driver is presented a signal that is unlikely to overdrive it.

The disadvantages are that both subsystems must cover a fairly high bandwidth. The compression driver is required to cover the top octave, and it is unlikely that it will reach past 16kHz. The midwoofer is required to cover the deepest bass and also the midrange band, so it is vulnerable to midrange intermodulation at high bass excursion levels.

But all in all, this is one of the most popular kinds of high-efficiency speakers for good reason. It performs very well, and doesn't require an exceptionally large cabinet. Most of its cost is in the two drivers, so a good speaker of this type will make the most of both of them. The main thing is that you have a midwoofer that reaches up to and over 1kHz smoothly, and that your compression horn be capable of taking over from there.

For more information, see the post called, "Baffle spacing, phase angles and time alignment, revisited."

Previous Topic: Speaker on the Beach
Next Topic: 8pi question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jun 07 06:40:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout