Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » What can I make with this sub box?
What can I make with this sub box? [message #43181] Mon, 24 November 2003 11:55 Go to next message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
I've inherited a 3 cu ft MDF sealed box with a 15" hole. Any decent 15"ers that will mate with my Theater 4's for sub duty, not that the 4's need that much help but the Paramours may prefer the assistence of my Adcom 200 watter down below.

Thanks!

Garland

Re: What can I make with this sub box? [message #43182 is a reply to message #43181] Mon, 24 November 2003 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The Kilomax 15 does very well in a 3ft3 box, though deeper extension results when a larger cabinet is used. You might consider cutting a panel to close the 15" hole and use a smaller driver instead, one that makes the volume larger in proportion to driver compliance. For 3ft3, you'll probably find more 12" drivers that are tuned to be used as subs.

A couple of 12" suggestions... [message #43184 is a reply to message #43181] Mon, 24 November 2003 17:15 Go to previous message
mollecon is currently offline  mollecon
Master
If you go for Wayne's quite sensible suggestion of using a 12", there's many possibilities - I have two here;

Peerless SWR 315 (can be found at Parts Express) will work fine in 3 cu.ft. closed box - Q will be 0.85, resonance ~42Hz & -3dB at ~38Hz. With up to 6dB equalising you will get to ~25Hz, very nice. The Peerless unit has a peak to peak linear excursion of 18mm (~3/4"), sensitivity ~89dB. And, the Peerless driver is affordable!

Another option would be the Eminence LAB 12 - good parameters for reflex box of 3 cu.ft. Tuned to 24Hz it should get you to 25Hz without the need for any equalising. The LAB 12's linear peak to peak excursion (13mm ~½") isn't as large as the above Peerless, but the reflex loading will more than make up for that. The LAB 12 isn't quite as sensitive & also more expensive, though.

Just a couple of ideas - there's MANY 12" drivers out there that will do a nice job in that box size.

Previous Topic: 4pi as a wedge monitor
Next Topic: Spec of Pi Speakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 08 12:53:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout