Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 133db,magic cabin gain,SPL meters
133db,magic cabin gain,SPL meters [message #42474] Sun, 14 September 2003 02:59 Go to previous message
toxicport.e is currently offline  toxicport.e
Baron
okay i went to an SPL comp-
they used an AUDIOCONTROL spl meter with big red LED display-

this is kinda off topic-but i like the group of ppl in this forum!

can i trust the meter?
i think it was IASCA relaxed rules..(one guy tested with his drivers window down,but he got low DB anyway so its not like he cheated to win!)

my friend with focals 6.5",infinitys rears and infinity 2x10" in his parcel tray with 18L each beat those stupid pioneer VCCS 12syay!

he scored 133db-this seems alot for a woofer that models as 110db in the current sealed box in winisd.

110db>133db ? thats alot of cabin gain!
it is an old 84 VK commadore,heavy and well built more like an american car than lightweight import,the panels didnt seem to flex and it seemd one of the quietest cars- but beat some of the ones that seemed louder-but loudness is no use where u stand OUTSIDE the car is it and ur measuring from the drivers passanger seat:P

my friend Ben with this car,he won the SQ and got a rockford fosgate jacket worth 90$ US he was stoked.

a guy had 2x12" dd audio subs ported,hit 147 he won.(thats pretty high i dont trust the meter)
most cars with pioneer VCCS subs were stuck in 128-136db range.

it was funny how the japanese import cars tended to flex ALOT!

my friend drives with his little infinity kappa pro 10"s flying 3cm al lthe time,they make a DONKing sound he doesnt seem to notice :P it sounds like a 60hz drum kick that isnt actualy in the input signal :-P

so ive experienced 133db approximately in my mates car he exceeds his rms limit by almost 2x with the power hes putting into them! im surprised the 10"s didnt fry..

why are RS meters limited to 126db? physical limitation of the mic? i know you can get replacement mics,for real cheap,are these any better?
surely the high pressure could do physical damage to delicate mics?????? im not so hot on microphone knowledge..

i want to plot his SPL level vs frequency but its not useful if it cant do 130db+

also nearer the end of the comp,the local skinheads turned up to take down number plates of the nice cars-cos u can go into any post office,give license plate #,and find the address of the car owner, steal their car !! strange system aye! why is that loophole there@ its totaly crazy

no one would want my mates car,his audio is worth more than the car

Cheers from NZ
Mike

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Biamping floor monitors instead of passive xover?
Next Topic: PiAlign port
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 02 14:30:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout