Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pictures (hopefully) of 2 Pi
Pictures (hopefully) of 2 Pi [message #41038] Thu, 17 April 2003 11:30 Go to next message
Bubbawat is currently offline  Bubbawat
Chancellor
Well here goes my attempt to deliver pictures. If all goes well you will see five shots of the project. Two finished shots of 'grilleless' fronts with opposing ports (for the grille). A shot of the oak finished side and two shots with the art deco grille.

This is supposedly void free Oak plywood and then I trimmed the front with Oak strips. The grilles were inspired by our Victrola in the same room.

As to sound per dollar - can't imagine getting the same good looks and sound for the price. A very nice addition and will probably go to college with the daughter after I make some pretty horn containers...

Let's try this.. [message #41039 is a reply to message #41038] Thu, 17 April 2003 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Use the link to get to the web page...
Re: Pictures (hopefully) of 2 Pi [message #41041 is a reply to message #41038] Thu, 17 April 2003 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
Man! where did you get those grilles? (and don't say you made them or I'll freak) Nice work!
Thomas
Great grilles! [message #41042 is a reply to message #41039] Thu, 17 April 2003 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Thanks for posting the photos of your speakers! They are sooo cool looking. Great grilles!

carved by hand, little elf hands:) [message #41045 is a reply to message #41041] Thu, 17 April 2003 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
WOW, that is a neat look. Sam
Wow! Erte' ! [message #41048 is a reply to message #41039] Thu, 17 April 2003 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Very creative and great looking. Yeah!
such nice words for a one trick pony... [message #41057 is a reply to message #41038] Fri, 18 April 2003 04:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Pretty easy to make the grilles - the cabinet and finish were much more of an 'attention to details' Excedrine headache number 2 Pi. As to the grilles...

My wife (the artist in the family) is into transforming her photographs into three dimensional work. An award winning B&W photo of hers that was a close up of our old Victrola grille was her inspiration. Klipsch Heresy provided the grille mechanics (yes - pure plagerism). Here goes - I used 1/8th inch hardboard, cut holes for speakers and ports, painted black and covered with leftover RatShack grille cloth (my traditional hot glue application). The carved wood pieces come from a hardwood specialty store - you can find them online as well - and are pretty common in higher end cabinet construction. They are pricey, but keeps me from having to become a sculptor (hell, I struggle with a straight cut on the table saw). Stain, seal then glue carved stuff - regular old titebond then lie face down on towel with consistent weight on the board to keep it flat - it adheres to hardboard through grille cloth. Use Velcro on baffle and hardboard.

Using this technique - if we tire of the design, just get some more hardboard and make more. Geez - how about a shamrock design for march, Easter egg for April, heart for February, etc. How ignorant can one get? (Don't ask that of my wife - she'll have thirty minutes of answers about her extraordinarily good looking husband ;-)

Re: Very nice touch [message #41067 is a reply to message #41039] Fri, 18 April 2003 19:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master

Pretty clever. I like it
A maybe little less expensive alternative... [message #41079 is a reply to message #41057] Sun, 20 April 2003 05:54 Go to previous message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Lowe's and Home Depot also sell similar accent pieces (not as nice as the ones you found, but similar) for relatively little money. I've used them as accents in formal mantelpieces and display shelves. They're made in some sort of press, kind of "bas relief".
Previous Topic: Pi7 / 18 plans
Next Topic: cornerhorn Qs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jun 07 01:03:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout